OpenOffice Dropbox

Talk about anything at all....
marcon12

OpenOffice Dropbox

Post by marcon12 »

I have been using Open Office spreadsheets to prepare accounts for various self employed individuals for some time now with great success. However I am now preparing accounts for a small firm and the account are shared using dropbox. My problem is that the other computers are using Excel 2010 and while they can open the files and read them if they make changes on Excel and then close the files the changes are not being saved to my Open Office files. They want me to invest in Excel which I would prefer not to as Open Office suits my needs fine. Is there any way I can get around this problem.
OpenOffice 4.0.1. Windows 8.1
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Open Office Dropbox

Post by Villeroy »

Things would be easier and cheaper if they would install OpenOffice or LibreOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
marcon12

Post by marcon12 »

Unfortunately as I am considered an external contractor they feel I should match their system. It is not the end of the world and I will continue to use Open Office for all other clients.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

As an external contractor, I believe you could back charge the company for the cost of purchasing Excel.
If they don't like that option, then, as Villeroy already stated, you could recommend that they install Open Office or Libre Office.
The last option that I can think of would require more work and expense than either of the other two, and that is to have them upgrade from Excel 2010 and start saving the files in Open Document Format.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
marcon12

Post by marcon12 »

Thank you for the suggestion. I think it will be worth a try.
fst
Volunteer

Post by fst »

Hi,

why not developing the document as *.ODS File and as the development is finished export it as *.XLS file to the Dropbox folder?
Excel should be able to load and save to this format as well as Openoffice do.
Frank

If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
henke54

Post by henke54 »

MultiFormatSave enables you to save simultaneously a document in the OpenDocument, MS Office and/or PDF formats as you choose.
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/exten ... ultisave-1

6 useful LibreOffice extensions : https://opensource.com/business/15/12/6 ... extensions
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate