Google tries to lure M$ Office users with free software

Talk about anything at all....
crusader
Volunteer

Google tries to lure M$ Office users with free software

Post by crusader »

http://globalnews.ca/news/2287790/googl ... -software/

I am wondering what effect, if any, this will have on LO/OO...
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: Google tries to lure M$ Office users with free software

Post by kingfisher »

Google's prime target is business enterprises and large ones at that :
The assault is targeting companies and government agencies paying for Microsoft’s suite of word processing, email, calendar, spreadsheet and other Office programs. If they dump Microsoft, Google will give them free use of a package of its competing software that normally costs $5 or $10 per user each month.
There is another article here :
Ten years ago, Google declared war on Microsoft Office by offering a cheap alternative on the web, Google Apps.

Flash forward to 2015, and the company has big plans to grab 80% of the users at Microsoft’s biggest customers.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
crusader
Volunteer

Re: Google tries to lure M$ Office users with free software

Post by crusader »

kingfisher wrote:Google's prime target is business enterprises and large ones at that
Today, that is true; however, I was thinking longer term and more along the lines of government and non-government organizations who might be tempted to migrate to brand name, cheaper, supported software (City of Munich comes to mind). Ordinarily, they would be prime candidates for LO/OO. And while Google may not be targeting them directly today, they represent the next big fish to fry. I have no reason to believe that Google (like any other for profit corporation) will stop at anything. They call it "growth."
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.