Saved over a word document in error

Talk about anything at all....
DJP

Saved over a word document in error

Post by DJP »

Please can someone help. My son typed a word document and it was saved with a title. He went back into the document and read over it and later on I tried to close the document down and did "save as" and it saved as a blank document. I am gutted as this was my 9 year old's first story he typed up and we have no other copy. Is there anyway to retrieve the document? I have tried to go back into the computer on a previous date but it appears that this does not help with word documents. Is there anyone that can help me make a little boy happy ?? Thank you so much
Apache Open Office 4.0.0
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Saved over a word document in error

Post by Villeroy »

When using "save as" with some document having content, you never get a blank document. Most often, the problem lies in the Windows system which makes it unnecessary difficult to locate and identify any files.
menu:File>Recent Documents should point to the file you have "saved as"

Generally speaking, it is a mistake to not save your work in the native file format of the software you are working with.
Always save OpenOffice text documents in the native ODF format (*.odt) and export another doc copy of your document only in the rare cases where some MS Word user needs to co-edit your work. For readers of your work export PDF which works on all devices with all systems.

Working directly on USB sticks is another bad practice which will destroy data sooner or later.
Using a USB stick with OpenOffice.org and its Derivatives
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Saved over a word document in error

Post by Zizi64 »

this was my 9 year old's first story he typed up and we have no other copy.
The first lesson about data security for a children and others:
"Always make more then one backup of your important document files onto more than one media."
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.