"Microsoft Loves Linux"

Talk about anything at all....
crusader
Volunteer

"Microsoft Loves Linux"

Post by crusader »

This is an interesting article about M$ building a Linux OS and loving Linux. The article is realistic in that this "love" is $ based. Politics is not the only element in life that makes strange bedfellows: money does an equally good job (if not better).
This openness to openness isn't necessarily born out of any newfound affinity for free software at Microsoft - at least not on a company-wide level. Microsoft will still commission reports that cast open-source rivals in a negative light compared to its own products, as seen recently in Munich in Germany and Pesaro in Italy.
It should be interesting to see if M$ tempers its attacks on LO and OO.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
henke54

Re: "Microsoft Loves Linux"

Post by henke54 »

crusader wrote:It should be interesting to see if M$ tempers its attacks ...
Roy Schestowitz at techrights.org on 14 September 2015 wrote:The bubble of ‘good’ Microsoft is being burst on a daily basis because the company keeps — and sometimes even enhances — its hostile behaviour...
http://techrights.org/2015/09/14/patent ... gnu-linux/
:roll:
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

henke54 wrote:
crusader wrote:It should be interesting to see if M$ tempers its attacks ...
Roy Schestowitz at techrights.org on 14 September 2015 wrote:The bubble of ‘good’ Microsoft is being burst on a daily basis because the company keeps — and sometimes even enhances — its hostile behaviour...
http://techrights.org/2015/09/14/patent ... gnu-linux/
:roll:
As embarrassing as it is to admit, I must admit I got carried away by M$'s "goodwill." The tragedy is, I know better! :oops:
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
henke54

Post by henke54 »

crusader wrote:As embarrassing as it is to admit, I must admit I got carried away by M$'s "goodwill." The tragedy is, I know better! :oops:
Maybe not all bad ;) ; Microsoft recommends Ubuntu on Twitter
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

henke54 wrote:Maybe not all bad ;) ; Microsoft recommends Ubuntu on Twitter
Thank you for sharing the articles.

Now that I have had a chance to recover from the nightmare (explanation below) and make sure I am not hallucinating, I can respond.

While this may seem like a dream to some (many?) Linux fans, it is not a dream to this Linux fan; rather, it is a nightmare. This action, like all M$'s actions has an ulterior motive. Why on God's earth would M$ "recommend" something that is a thorn in its butt? Satya Nadella's pragmatism is only a small part of the answer. The larger answer has been, and will always be the mighty $.

I do not put it beyond M$ to try and get a copyright on Linux, LO/OO, and anything else it can get its hands on. Many will respond by saying that is not possible. In strict theory, yes; but who is living in a theoretical world today? M$ "recommending" Linux is proof enough it is (at least currently) living in a very practical world – the dimensions of which even M$ Excel cannot calculate.
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
henke54

Post by henke54 »

Andrew C. Oliver at infoworld.com on Nov 3, 2016 wrote:
No, Microsoft does not love open source
:geek:
Dr. Roy Schestowitz wrote:I have spent over a decade writing about this almost every day, amassing over 22,000 blog posts. The last thing Microsoft wants is an informed public which is able to see that Microsoft eats Linux, it doesn’t love Linux.
https://twitter.com/schestowitz?lang=en
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

While I had forgotten initiating this discussion, I have not forgotten the essence of this discussion: one sees it everyday. Tragically, M$'s attacks on opensource and other software have "progressed" from taunts to rape – and I don't see them stopping there. :twisted:

On a related note, LO has made excellent progress and can effectively compete with M$ Office. With that in mind, I wonder if there are reliable statistics on LO's uptake ("market penetration"). Given the ubiquitousness of M$ Office, even a tiny change (small fraction of a percentage point) would be a big deal. I am acutely aware that, that may not make a difference in the overall picture – today; however, everything starts small – and grows from there. I frequently read about European countries attempting to promote (and even implement) opensource – even as M$ continues to do everything it can to undermine those efforts. I would love to know how much dent (if any) that has made in M$'s oversized pocket.

While opensource fans work hard promoting opensource, we need to work smarter also: taking advantage of every opportunity to educate and promote LO/OO to the masses – who may not even be aware of the existence of LO/OO. Africa and Latin America represent excellent opportunities in this regard. As noted below, the last thing M$ wants is an informed public – I wonder why. ;)
LO 7.x on Linux Mint