Converted pdf not displayig correctly in certain systems

Talk about anything at all....
hutia

Converted pdf not displayig correctly in certain systems

Post by hutia »

Hello,

I wonder if someone could tell me what might be causing the issue I am having. When I convert rtf documents to pdfs they look fine, but when I drag them to a different application (with document OCR module) it doesn't display correctly - it has a wonky font. What can be the reason? The application concerned does accept other pdfs but not when they were converted using Apache. Any ideas?

Regards,
hutia
Apache Open Office 4.1.1.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Converted pdf not displayig correctly in certain systems

Post by Bill »

Without knowing what the "document OCR module" is, I'd guess that the OCR module is converting an image to text and is guessing what font is used. When RTF is converted to PDF, the converter knows what font is used.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You could try making the pdf using PDF/A-1a mode which embeds the fonts used. Note that OpenOffice is not very happy using RTF document format.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
hutia

Post by hutia »

Bill wrote:Without knowing what the "document OCR module" is, I'd guess that the OCR module is converting an image to text and is guessing what font is used. When RTF is converted to PDF, the converter knows what font is used.
Ho Bill,

Yes, you are right, the documents we are sending (pdfs) are "acquired" within the system (SystmOne by the way made by TPP) as images in the document management module with OCR. And this module is converting the images to Word. But how come that with certain pdfs the OCR is guessing correctly and displays the correct font, but it can't "guess" it with the other pdfs?

Regards, hutia
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the documents originate in OpenOffice, they can immediately be transferred to .doc format (/File /Save As, with MS Word 97/2000/XP format selected on the filetype dropdown.
hershel

Post by hershel »

You can click file the select export to pdf if the file comes from openoffice.
openoffice 4.1.1 windows 8
web developer
hutia

Post by hutia »

I've done some testing and it looks as if apache Open Office while converting embeds some xtra fonts or character. when the pdf is sent via email those extra characters are invisible and the document looks fine, but when the document is sent to a different system that system extracts all the fonts an th edocument is invisible.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Selecting to Export as PDF and choosing PDF/A-1a from the options should embed all fonts in the file. If you are getting anomalous results from different computers I think you need to look to the PDF viewer used and its exact version in use on such computers.