Curious about framework choice

Talk about anything at all....
awsdert

Curious about framework choice

Post by awsdert »

I'd like to know why GTK or whatever was used instead of a framework like Iup which gives a native feel and leaves a small footprint (not to mention easier to set-up). I'll probably forget about this thread for a couple of days so don't feel any need to do a rush job of your reply.
None at present, Will use OpenOffice 4 on Windows 7 x64
Hagar Delest

Re: Curious about framework choice

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Devs don't visit the forum, you should ask your question on the dev mailing list.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

I'm not a developer but I think there's a simple answer: OO was first released (as Star Office) long (ten years or more) before any of the major cross-platform toolkits were available, much less mature enough to use.

It actually has its own toolkit which has been developed and extended along with the applications. There has been a lot of discussion about replacing it--there are some major deficiencies--but it's too deeply woven into the structure of the code. Replacing it would be a huge undertaking.

The LibreOffice developers are diligently nibbling away at some of the problems, for which I give them a lot of credit. The re-working of all the dialogs is well underway and will be a big, big improvement that I hope may someday apply to AOO as well.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
awsdert

Post by awsdert »

Thanks for the reply, maybe after I'm done with my current projects I'll take a crack at starting an Iup based version, fairly simple API so it shouldn't take long for newbs (like me XD) to learn to use and begin helping out as well (I actually think it would make a good base for a browser too but I'm only one person :P)
None at present, Will use OpenOffice 4 on Windows 7 x64