Please simplify issue tracker

Talk about anything at all....
pancapangrawit

Please simplify issue tracker

Post by pancapangrawit »

Hi,
I've been trying to switch to OOO for several years now and sympathize strongly with the application-suite. Since I'm mainly on Mac, and with 3.0 we'll get a native version I'm in good hopes for the future that I can switch fully towards the end of the year. I would like to contribute to QA by issuing bug reports, but I find it terribly difficult to do so.

I have a proposal to make.

Please allow a registered user to create a profile with the current ooo version he/she is using - and allow to enter issue-tracking land based on that profile. So if I browse issues or submit issues I am automatically only confronted with issues relevant to my workspace/ooo-version.

The query form of the issue tracker is incredibly complicated and I have no idea what 90% of the abbreviations in the various lists mean. I use OOO 3.0 beta on the Mac and I want a simple way to prevent, that if I query issues for "crash on closing application" a am not confronted with existing issues for OOO 1.1 RC1.

If - as the recent innovations in the OOO-site indicate - OOO-managers feel there is not enough QA-feedback from users, I think this would be a highly useful enhancement.

Best
panca
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
Hagar Delest

Re: Please simplify issue tracker

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please read the Survival Guide for the forum. For such request, you should file... a bug report in the Issue Tracker! :mrgreen:

But I'm not sure your request is very relevant: as upgrades occur each 3 months, it would make a lot of profiles (I've used each version from 2.0.0, but I agree I've not submitted a bug for each one). There is a field for the OOo version, its a only few clicks away, why bother with profiles?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
pancapangrawit

Post by pancapangrawit »

> as upgrades occur each 3 months, it would make a lot of profiles

Well, I'd say this is exactly the reason why such a setting should exist in the user profile. Of course I would have to update my profile after I updated OOO - but once that is done I would automatically be confronted with relevant issues only, and I would automatically post issues where they belong.

Best .p.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

But very often, bugs can be reproduced in other versions also. Discovering a bug in 2.4 doesn't mean that it was not already there in 2.3 (either because nobody had faced it or because it had not been reported). Note that you can save queries so you can create some with that OOo version setting.
pancapangrawit

Post by pancapangrawit »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:But very often, bugs can be reproduced in other versions also. Discovering a bug in 2.4 doesn't mean that it was not already there in 2.3 (either because nobody had faced it or because it had not been reported).
My main point: issue-tracking is a highly complex matter as you probably know better than I, and I think far too many of its complexities is exposed to a "normal" end-user in the current interface. Maybe one should offer two modes in the profile, an expert- and a standard mode.
The way it is, it is hard to believe that many normal users will be able to place issues. But maybe that is intentional (no sarkasm intended).

Best
.p.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, for that, I do agree.
But a simple interface won't allow to dispatch the reports easily. Users should not be afraid to report bugs. Devs can fill in the missing options or ask for them afterwards. The only issue is that it seems very complex but it's not that hard. Even if you lose time with some reports badly shaped, the good ones that will follow once you've made these drills will greatly help the community.