[Solved] A Library Management Program

Talk about anything at all....
LJ Bettona

[Solved] A Library Management Program

Post by LJ Bettona »

I have been given the go-ahead to set up a 'reading room' type library in the small town where I live in Italy. We will need a program to manage the book list, memberships, loans and I don't know what else because I'm not a librarian.

Has anyone in the OO community created such a thing? I'm too much of a Newbie to even think about it. I'm afraid I can't offer us as guinea pigs because the volunteers who will be staffing it would not be able to cope with the inevitable crashes and I can't be around 18 hours a day to hold hands. Most of them will be non-computer literate retirees who email and write letters on their computers and no more.

But if someone out there has a fairly stable system, I'd be willing to try it at home for a while. (I should warn you that I am the ultimate user. At work, they always made me test the systems before they released them. If anyone could find an unthought of route through to a bug, I would!)

Thanks for any help
Last edited by LJ Bettona on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac G5, OS 10.4.11
OO 2.4, NeoOffice 3 patch 1
OOo 2.2.X on Mac OSx other + Actually NeoOffice 3 patch 1
acknak

Re: A Library Management Program

Post by acknak »

I can't imagine that OOo would be a good solution for running a reading room.

I had looked at some of the FLOSS solutions a couple of years ago, but never implemented any. This one seems to be the leader, with a strong community behind it: Koha - Open Source ILS - Integrated Library System. I've seen reports that it is being used in many libraries.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
LJ Bettona

Re: A Library Management Program

Post by LJ Bettona »

Thanks. For some reason I never received notice of your reply. I just decided to trawl my posts today. I'll make a note of the program and search it out.
iMac G5, OS 10.4.11
OO 2.4, NeoOffice 3 patch 1
OOo 2.2.X on Mac OSx other + Actually NeoOffice 3 patch 1