Are NeoOffice tutorials and references welcome?

Talk about anything at all....
kabing
Volunteer

Are NeoOffice tutorials and references welcome?

Post by kabing »

While I've been semi-active in the oooforums and now this forum, I'm actually a NeoOffice user, not an OpenOffice.org user. I started participating in the OOo forums when I started diving into Base. None of other active members of the NeoOffice forums have much familiarity with Base, so I turned to the OOo forums for the answers I needed. In the process, I've been writing a series of tutorials in the Neowiki, based on my experience of building a birding database.

Because I believe in giving back, I've begun to answer those questions I can in both OOo forums. In some cases, I know that there is a tutorial or other information available for NeoOffice that would answer the question without my needing to type it all out again. But I have been hesitant to provide links for those places in OOo forums, given the tension between the two communities (OOo and Neo).

Thus my question. Is it o.k. for me to post links to tutorials and/or wiki articles that are from the NeoOffice community but are essentially applicable to OOo too, or should I refrain?

Thanks,

kabing (Note that I use another handle in the NeoOffice forums and wiki)
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
Hagar Delest

Re: Are NeoOffice tutorials and references welcome?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Of course, I don't see any problem with that.

Do you need a dedicated forum area in Setup & Troubleshouting for example (one area should be enough to start with) ? or do you prefer to post in the applications forums (then, tagging the threads with [NeoOffice] should do the trick).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

I wasn't thinking about a separate NeoOffice area. For the most part, the NeoOffice forums can handle Neo-specific questions. I was wondering if it was o.k. to respond to a question from a OOo user by referring them to a wiki page written for NeoOffice users. Not in order to promote NeoOffice, just to avoid having to retype information that's already available somewhere. Since Neo is a port/fork of OpenOffice.org, most of the info applies equally well to either application. Those of us who are active at neooffice.org frequently refer users to articles written for OpenOffice.org because of that fact. I've been tempted to do the reverse here, but I haven't been sure if it would be welcome.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

It makes sense. While NeoOffice may be a fork, it is still essentially OpenOffice.org at it's heart. :) Better to work together than against each other.
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Speaking for myself- Yes please do.
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

Thanks for the answers. I'll feel free to post links to the Neowiki when applicable.

kabing
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

what is the address for that wiki again?
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

The main page for the neowiki is:
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Main_Page

The Base tutorial I've been writing is:
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/ ... Back_Again

Another page of interest is the Tips and Hints page:
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/ ... _and_Hints
Near the top are links to each of the component pages, which index articles (both in the wiki and in other places) specific to each component (Writer, Calc, etc.).

Finally, there's a documentation page with links to guides, books, etc. Many of the links are to OOo resources:
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/ ... _Resources

Is that enough links? ;)

Note that many pages are also available in French, Spanish, Italian and/or German. Many of the German pages are out of date, as we haven't had a German wiki editor in some time. If an article is avaialable in other languages, there will be a link or links at the bottom of the page to the other languages.

kabing
ericb

Post by ericb »

Don't forget to add another contribution from NeoOffice project, where it was clearly question of legal issues :
http://council.openoffice.org/servlets/ ... msgNo=1187

How can we consider such project as friend of OpenOffice.org after that ?

FYI, the code for the Spotlight plugin has been rewritten from scratch (by Florian Heckl) since, to avoid legal issue with such thing.

It was integrated in m233 if I remember correctly.

--
qɔᴉɹə