Publisher/front page

Talk about anything at all....
inc6370

Publisher/front page

Post by inc6370 »

Does open office have an equivalent for Publisher and Front Page?
Thank you.
acknak

Re: Publisher/front page

Post by acknak »

OpenOffice has no direct equivalents for either of those.

OpenOffice Writer has features that overlap with both of those products, and people use it successfully for jobs that they used to use those products for, but I wouldn't call Writer either a "desktop publisher" or a "web page creator".
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
inc6370

Post by inc6370 »

Thank you. Is there an easy way to ID those features in writer for when I won't to do a web site or for when I want to do dest top publishing.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I actually don't know of a good features overview for OOo. The product pages are on the http://www.openoffice.org site, but they're just bullet lists. It would be nice if there were some task-oriented overviews somewhere, but I don't know of any (and I'm not going to write one for you ;-)).

Basically, you can do simple desktop publishing (event programs, cards, brochures, booklets, newsletters) in Writer. Some tasks will be more difficult than a desktop publishing application; some will be easier. I wouldn't recommend Writer for a graphics-heavy magazine, and it is missing some print-publishing features like color separations or registration marks. It's also has little in the way of imposition tools. You can do simple folded booklets, but that's about it.

For web pages, you can do simple (very simple) pages in Writer, but it doesn't support CSS, or scripting, and it has no templates or "page-buiding" wizards.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
inc6370

Post by inc6370 »

Thank you, this is very very helpful. Almost as helpful as you writing it for me :D
Seriously, this is just what I needed to know.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Scribus is an open-source DTP.

http://www.scribus.net/
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust