Re: Open/Save into PDF embedded ODF (hybrid PDF) directly in OOo

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What is it, and why do I need it?
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

The idea is that I (the user) only have to store my documents as a single PDF-file that has the ODF attached (hybrid PDF). OOo auto-detects the attached ODF and opens it like a usual ODF file and allows editing.

When the user saves changes to the document, it is again saved as hybrid PDF.

So the user has one single file for editing and giving away. Other (who don't have OOo) can view the file in Adobe Reader.
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 7.x + Windows XP
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

The Hybrid PDF extension is available for testing now.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
SPM

Post by SPM »

Hybrid ODF/PDFs are great, but I would prefer OpenOffice to create as default file extension that allows it to ce distinguished from a non-hybrid PDF. For example by giving it an extension .o.pdf or .odt.pdf , .ods.pdf etc. Without this, you can't easily tell what file you saved as a hybrid PDF and what as a PDF.

The ability to open PDFs in OpenOffice Draw is great for editing, but OODraw format while good for adjusting page format of a PDF, is useless for the other thing that a PDF is essential for, which is to actually import large test documents or forms in PDF for substantial editing/reformatting in a wordprocessor. I would like to open in Writer, a KWord frame based import style that has as large as possible frames (for form import), and a best equivalent frameless text import for importing mainly frameless text PDF's into test plus frames only for smaller inlays of the type you might have if you outputted a text document as a PDF. You would be able to select to open in either of these conversion formats.
OOo 2.4.X on Fedora 9 + Ubuntu 8.04, Windows 2000