Spoof OpenOffice sites asking for credit card details

Talk about anything at all....
harryw

Spoof OpenOffice sites asking for credit card details

Post by harryw »

There seem to be sites trying to spoof openoffice.org that ask for credit card details when you try to download the program.
My brother thought he was downloading openoffice, and sensibly stopped at the credit card request. It turned out he was on http://www.openoffice.org-Suite.com. Then when I told him the genuine URL, ended up on http://www.OpenOfficeDownload.org.
Web Of Trust, which is an add-on for Firefox, gives both these sites a red alert for trustworthiness, and blocks the first one.
The sites are designed to look llike openoffice.org, using its logo, or one very similar. Also if you search for open office in Google, these sites come top of the results page in the Google ads section.
My brother works in an IT dept so he's not inexperienced.
These sites will fool many people.
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Spoof OpenOffice sites asking for credit card details

Post by Villeroy »

This well known fact has been discussed frequently. There is not much which can be done. The name "Open Office" is owned by a Dutch company (they sell Linux with questionable extra services) and the true name of this office suite is simply the name of it's home: OpenOffice.org
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Long discussion on that topic here: Fake Download Open Office 2009 - Credit Card Fraud.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Dave

Post by Dave »

They say that "God protects babies and fools", and anyone responding to a request for their credit card information is no baby.

David.
jimboy

Post by jimboy »

This guy is still sending out spam offers to download OpenOffice, with request for CCard details! I have received two emails this week. He now spells his name Mathew, instead of Matthew. I have filed a complaint to the email service who appear to be straight about their anti spam policy - see http://www.graphicmail.co.uk/site/graph ... ispam.aspx. As others have said - Beware.
OOo 2.3.X on MS Windows Vista
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Not a lot anyone can do about that. Just hope that the true message gets out there and very few get suckered in by this kind of scam.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
AlphasPrincess

Post by AlphasPrincess »

Ok then, how do I open the correct page to download open office. All Im getting is pay links
:cry:
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove Known Issues icon
openoffice 3.1
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

AlphasPrincess wrote:Ok then, how do I open the correct page to download open office. All Im getting is pay links
:cry:
Download here http://www.openoffice.org/download/.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

AlphasPrincess wrote:Ok then, how do I open the correct page to download open office. All Im getting is pay links.
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.37.15.jpg
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).