Does OpenOffice.org have an Outlook equivalent

Postby todge » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Help does open office have an outlook equilivent

If not what is the best to use
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
todge

Re: Help does open office have an outlook equilivent

Postby Villeroy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:45 pm

No, it's focussed on document editing. You can still use Outlook and use it's address books with OpenOffice.org.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 12.04, Apache OpenOffice 4.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby todge » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Villeroy wrote:No, it's focussed on document editing. You can still use Outlook and use it's address books with OpenOffice.org.

I don't have access to outlook any more as my trial period has now finished, so I was looking for something else, that I could get free
todge

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:05 pm

AOO 4.0.1 on Windows 7 and Xubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr)
Hagar Delest

Postby todge » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:40 pm

Hagar de l'Est wrote:See here: What stops me from going OO.org ? PIM !

Too much to read, so is the a good program that does, e-mail, contacts, amd calender all in one
todge

Re: Help does open office have an outlook equivalent

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Thunderbird + Lightning.
Hagar Delest

Re: Help does open office have an outlook equivalent

Postby TheGurkha » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:14 am

Ubuntu 13.04 Raring ringtail, LibO 4.0.2.2 (Build ID 400m0 (Build:2))
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha

Re: Does OpenOffice have an Outlook equivalent

Postby Houka » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:23 pm

Nope. However if you have already purchased Exchange licenses, this may also cover Outlook. Check it out.
You should be cautious about using Outlook or Outlook Express, since both of them are sitting ducks for email viruses. Why, especially? Well, both of these programs are widely used (since they are shipped on a lot of PCs), and they share a lot of the same weaknesses, making them a great big juicy target for all those wretched virus writers.
Houka

Postby putergod » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:44 pm

I have to agree with the OP. Until Open Office / Libre Office included an Outlook equivilent, they will never be taken seriously in the corporate world. I also will not be switching until them either, for my home computers (with the exception of the linux machines for obvious reasons). I use outlook extensively. The integration between outlook, and the rest of the office suite, is essential.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
putergod

Postby Villeroy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:56 pm

The integration between outlook, and the rest of the office suite, is essential.

Please define "integration"
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby putergod » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:44 pm

in·te·gra·tion   [in-ti-grey-shuhn]
–noun
1. an act or instance of combining into an integral whole.
2. an act or instance of integrating a racial, religious, or ethnic group.
3. an act or instance of integrating an organization, place of business, school, etc.
putergod

Postby Villeroy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 pm

OK, you are running Ubuntu with OpenOffice.org 2.4 and with this equipment you miss the possibility
- to act or instance of combining into an integral whole nor does it provide act or instance of integrating a racial, religious, or ethnic group nor can you an act or instance of integrating an organization, place of business, school, etc.

I can assure you that your given tool can help you to socialize by any means. By magnitudes better than any Windows installation will ever do.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:02 pm

putergod wrote:The integration between outlook, and the rest of the office suite, is essential.

Well, I'll rephrase Villeroy's question (not sure you've seized its real meaning...): what is the benefit of a tight link between an application dedicated to communicate (by mail and meetings through a calendar) and an application dedicated to produce documents?

At work, the company runs Lotus Notes and MS Office and there is no synergy at all needed. I've also worked for a company running MS Outlook and same conclusion, I've never needed any integration with MS Office.
Hagar Delest

Postby putergod » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:25 am

Villeroy wrote:OK, you are running Ubuntu with OpenOffice.org 2.4 and with this equipment you miss the possibility
- to act or instance of combining into an integral whole nor does it provide act or instance of integrating a racial, religious, or ethnic group nor can you an act or instance of integrating an organization, place of business, school, etc.

I can assure you that your given tool can help you to socialize by any means. By magnitudes better than any Windows installation will ever do.

Actually, I just copied and pasted one of the "options" since it was a requirement.
On all my Linux boxes lies Open Office. However, I don't use those machine for "office". I use my Windows box with has MS Office 2010. I would make the switch to OOo on my Windows machine IF it included an integrated equivilent to Outlook (which I use HEAVILY).
putergod

Postby putergod » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:35 am

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
putergod wrote:The integration between outlook, and the rest of the office suite, is essential.

Well, I'll rephrase Villeroy's question (not sure you've seized its real meaning...): what is the benefit of a tight link between an application dedicated to communicate (by mail and meetings through a calendar) and an application dedicated to produce documents?

At work, the company runs Lotus Notes and MS Office and there is no synergy at all needed. I've also worked for a company running MS Outlook and same conclusion, I've never needed any integration with MS Office.

Just because you haven't used, and therefore fully realized, the benefits of the Outlook/Office integration, doesn't mean that others haven't either. If you don't need it, fine. No one is telling you that you do, but those of us that do, and those of us that have a major influence in IT decisions at an enterprise level that also feel this way, require it. I was only supporting the OP. I don't understand why the fanbois feel the need to try and force THEIR opinion down the throats of us that DISAGREE with THEIR opinion.

Simple FACT (INDISPUTABLE FACT):
Until OOo and/or Libre Office add a feature rich mail client/PIM that rivals Outlook and is fully integrated with the suit LIKE outlook, then OOo and/or Libre Office will NOT see very much entrenching into the corporate world (or my own personal world). If they want more exposure, and want to TRUELY become a MS Office ALTERNATIVE (and not just another office suite), then they BADLY need to but some SERIOUS thought into this issue.

You know why OOo is "all i need" to many? Because "many" don't use Office period (outside of work, IF it's an "office job" perse). The vast majority of computer owners in the world use windows mail and wordpad or MS Works (if they haven't switched to OOo). When they do switch, it's a vast improvement. However, given the applications that ARE in OOo, it seems to me their primary target is business/enterprise. While "business" may be fine with it, large enterprise, for the most part, won't until the mentioned requirement is met.

Let me say this in closing, so you truly understand where I stand... I WANT them to add this functionality because I WANT to ditch Microsoft!! but I wont at the cost of lower productivity, and I NEED OUTLOOK (and I do NOT want "completely" seperate applications! I LIKE the suite integration).
putergod

Re: Does OpenOffice.org have an Outlook equivalent

Postby FJCC » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:53 am

putergod - A few points:
I don't see that anyone is forcing anything down your throat. I see two people asking you to elaborate and so far you haven't done that. Like Hagar and Villeroy, I don't know what benefit Outlook's "integration" provides. Not that I don't believe you get a benefit, but the word integration isn't very specific.

A much more direct path to campaign for changes to OOo or LibreOffice would be on their respective mailing lists. There are no developers here.

There are very few, if any, indisputable facts.
AOO 3.4 or 4.0 on MS Windows XP ( before 2013-08-03) or Windows 7
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:21 am

Please give facts showing what is the integration you're talking about.

If you, a person having "a major influence in IT decisions at an enterprise level" think that most computers runs Windows mail, Wordpad and Works, then hum, I'm wondering in what kind of enterprise you're in...
Any company runs MS Office, Outlook or Lotus Notes mostly according to my knowledge of the banking and industrial sectors (worked in 2 companies more than 100,000 employees with relationships with a bunch of suppliers and having a look at some communications with rank 2 suppliers).

Integration with the mail client will never be a problem, there are many other issues before. And it would mean that Lotus Notes with MS Office is a wrong choice, but I know several big companies having made this choice.

If you've good reasons, then just give them and perhaps they're worth features request. Else, it's just small talk about nothing.
Hagar Delest

Postby /a3 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:24 am

putergod wrote:Simple FACT (INDISPUTABLE FACT):
Until OOo and/or Libre Office add a feature rich mail client/PIM that rivals Outlook and is fully integrated with the suit LIKE outlook, then OOo and/or Libre Office will NOT see very much entrenching into the corporate world (or my own personal world). If they want more exposure, and want to TRUELY become a MS Office ALTERNATIVE (and not just another office suite), then they BADLY need to but some SERIOUS thought into this issue.

That is disputable. I don’t see any reason why OOo and LO would need to integrate an email client to be successful. The alternative is OOo/LO+Thunderbird, or another free email client. I there any reason why this wouldn’t work? :?

Thunderbird is a great product from Mozilla (I use SeaMonkey personally) and it wouldn’t make sense to duplicate the efforts Mozilla has already made. Thunderbird is heavily reliant on Gecko as well; OOo and LO are not.

Again, there isn’t any logical reason why a corporation would need to have everything all-in-one. I personally don’t want to see OOo/LO becoming bloatware anyway.
I NEED OUTLOOK

What's wrong with Thunderbird? Perhaps your email needs would be better discussed at a Mozilla forum and not an OOo/LO one?

If you want Calendars, have you read this? http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
LibreOffice 4.1.1 PPA
/a3

Postby keme » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 am

Villeroy wrote:
The integration between outlook, and the rest of the office suite, is essential.

Please define "integration"
putergod wrote:in·te·gra·tion   [in-ti-grey-shuhn]
–noun
1. an act or instance of combining into an integral whole.
2. an act or instance of integrating a racial, religious, or ethnic group.
3. an act or instance of integrating an organization, place of business, school, etc.

Hello, God!

I appreciate that, as a 'puter deity, you give what's asked for, not what the asker meant to pray for. So be it!

Perhaps the intended prayer was...
Please explain how "integration" should apply to the relationship between an Office application (such as MS Word) and a collaboration utility (such as MS Outlook).
In the name of Ada, Charles, and the pearly Gates.
Enter
OOo 3.3.0 and Apache OOo 3.4.1/4.0.0, on Ms Windows 7 and Mac OS-X.
keme
Volunteer

Postby peterroots » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Does 'fully integrated' , when referring to outlook and the rest of MSoffice mean that each individual product as 'Microsoft' written on it somewhere?
Perhaps it means you can write an email in outlook and attach a word document to it? Hum, can we do this with OOo/LO Writer and Thunderbird, Evolution, Kontact etc? yes we can.
Maybe using outlook contacts to add addresses to letters in Word? Can do that in Thunderbird, Evolution, Kontact, company database .......
Maybe mail merge from outlook contact? Um, let me think. No, this is getting too repetitive.

I vote for adding Internet Explorer to MS Office for a truly integrated solution, office functions, web browsing, email! You name it we got it in there. Hey could I call it an operating system and patent it? :bravo:
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
peterroots
Volunteer

Return to General Discussion