Scammed????

Talk about anything at all....
Carolus

Scammed????

Post by Carolus »

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
-------
Hello,

I am just a newbie with OO.
It started with my Inbox where I found an email over OpenOffice 2009, so I said lets me try it out. It was free so to speak. When I continue I had to register before I could download, and I had to pay $18 for 3 years, maintenance or so. It did not look that expensive to me so I signed in.
The web page looked just like yours, I could download after I was send a username/passw combination.
Anyhow I had troubles with installing some extensions and had to go to support.
Right there I noticed that something was not correct.
I tried to download v 2.4.1 twice and both times my PC flashes and collapsed and restarted on its own.
So I said to my self this is not correct and start searching the internet trough Google to find more about OO.
That's why I am here now. The web page where I had to download from was: http://members-site.net, does someone knows about that?
This site I am now look far different and I was not asked to sign in for some period ad $.....
Was that a fake site???
If some know what that was about, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Carolus----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by acknak on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disable active link
Carolus
Windows XP Prof, SP3
4GB mem, AMD X2 5600 , lot of disk space.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Scammed????

Post by TheGurkha »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

OpenOffice.org is free. But it is not illegal for these rip-off sites to charge for 'downloads' or 'support' or some other type of 'vapourware' fee.

Here's where you can get the official OOo releases, free: OpenOffice.org.
 Edit: Also see this thread: Fake Download Open Office 2009 - Credit Card Fraud 
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Carolus wrote:[ ... ]
Was that a fake site???
If some know what that was about, please let me know.
Google the URL (use members-site.net as the search term) and you'll get plenty of info about what that is.

Nothing but scams, agressive advertising and malware on that site, according to most sources (and according to all reputable ones returned in my search).
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Carolus

Post by Carolus »

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.
I have learned my lesson, I thought it would never happen to me, for I am always careful.
It shows again that one can never be careful enough and never let your guard down.

Thanks again. :) :lol:

Carolus