Fake Download Open Office 2009 - Credit Card Fraud

Talk about anything at all....
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Fake Download Open Office 2009 - Credit Card Fraud

Post by Villeroy »

The software is named after it's home on the web: http://openoffice.org
The name "Open Office" is claimed by a Dutch company which does not take any steps against scammers, but they sued Sun when Sun was going to publish this software as "Open Office".
"StarOffice" by Sun is more or less the same but including professional support and some non-free ingredients, thus StarOffice is not free neither.
http://go-oo.org is another free derivate of OpenOffice.org with some valid improvements.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

MichaelOO wrote:As to giving my email address, I'm pretty sure I only gave it to register OO3 after downloading from the official site. Mind you, I might have given it to the 'download & support' site and forgotten I did so. Such things happen, especially when doing five things at once online.
Those things happen, undoubtedly.

Another cause may be a technique I've seen in use, a crude form of hijacking: When you leave a site, the main address (in the address field of your browser) stays at the site you think you left, but with a redirect to the other site you go to. The new page looks and behaves exactly like you expect (it is in fact exactly the page you asked for), but all traffic passes through the site you thought you left, so they can extract whatever they want. The rogue site seems to act as a proxy for your browser.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
MichaelOO

Post by MichaelOO »

keme wrote:The rogue site seems to act as a proxy for your browser.
Now that's nasty! I had no idea such a thing could be done. Does Google's Chrome allow that too? I've been using it for a few days, and prefer it to Firefox, which I was using before. (Let's not even mention IE...)
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

MichaelOO wrote:Does Google's Chrome allow that too?
Yes, AFAIK. (I use Chrome, IE and FF because I maintain a web site and need to check it with all of the common browsers.) The point is that the browser doesn't know.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
BlueDrache

Post by BlueDrache »

The referring page hijack can be demonstrated easily by viewing this (harmless(?)) page: http://bacolicio.us/

Either way, I also have a website to add to the list of complaints:

http://suite-org.com/index.asp

Found it in a "sponsored link" on my gmail.com in-box
Last edited by acknak on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disable live links to risky sites
OOo 3.1.0 on XP Pro SP 3 and Vista SP1
jorcam

Post by jorcam »

I think I've been swindled by the site : "http://suite-org.com/", last week.
I was looking for Openoffice home page and was redirected to this site and
I payed for a version of Open Office 3.0.
I wonder 2 things: If there is some resources to suite them, or to report them to an authority or so.
The other cuestion is if my credit card informacion can be in risk.
Thanks for any information
Jorcam
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

No, I suspect there is little you can do. When you read their small print it'll probably turn out to be the case that you haven't paid for OOo, you've paid to join their site, or paid to get support etc.

Only thing is to put it down to experience, and in the future only ever get your OOo downloads from OpenOffice.org.

As for your credit card details, I'd say it's impossible to predict.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

Your best bet is to speak to your credit card company, they may be willing to do a charge back for you.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
RoyFeni

Post by RoyFeni »

I've been using computers for a long time (my first was a Commodore 64!) I've been online since BEFORE the Internet. (Remember 'bulletin boards'?) I've seen it all. I always pitied the fools who fell for scams and phishing emails and such. But the other day I willingly paid over $44 for Open Office, even though I knew it was free! "Maybe this support and 'extra features' are worth it," I thought.

Moral of the story: Never impulse shop online after taking your sleeping pill.
Roy
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista 64-bit
File077

Post by File077 »

I don't know if this has been done, and don't care enough, nor is it my place to do so, however this guy is an idiot.

His server is here in the US, all someone has to do is call his local police, and report credit card fraud.

And his but goes to jail. The whois returned plenty of info including:

network:Created:091103
network:City:South Bend
network:State:Indiana
network:Country-Code:US
OOo 3.1.X on MS Windows Vista 64 Bit
USMC Baby, all the way.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

The Dutch OOo community forum got a question about an e mail from one "Mike Robertson, Dart Connect Group, Altoona, USA" plugging updates for "OfficeSuite", including a logo with two flying birds. I couldn't find all of those data together in a Google search, but a search for just officesuite, graphics yielded this link: cronytv.com/128-Office-Suite-Download.olpo (apparently an Australian affair).
I wonder if the OOo community can take steps against the owners of that website for using that logo.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Interesting. Look at the phone number:
+88-01711264368
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ling_codes

+880 is Bangladesh, probably a call centre. However, they do have an ABN: 54 535 314 298. I'm sure if Oracle/Apache (or whoever owns the trademark these days) wanted to complain, it wouldn't be too difficult.
LibreOffice 4.2
ganderous

Post by ganderous »

I use Outlook Express for email with Windows XP Pro. I sometimes get messages that I suspect are scams but never open them before finding out where the email came from. I use WhatIsMyIPAddress.com. Without opening the email in question, right click on the email title which take you to "properties." From there click on "details" and then "message source." Message source can be expanded to full page. Copy the information, not including the actual email body (which you can read without opening the computer up to a virus, etc.), to the IP address program. Run the program and it will show you all the email addresses and email names associated with the email. It will also give you the location the email was sent from--like Thailand, Nigeria, etc. If the email looks suspicious, don't open the email but add it to you "blocked senders list." I have Outlook Express set up to delete all the emails in the "deleted" folder (where the blocked senders list sends the email) when I exit the program. Beware and take care. Charlie
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows XP Pro
ilmkidunya12
Banned

Post by ilmkidunya12 »

There are many website that providing th facility how can we aware about that
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Forum policy is that one should only download from www.openoffice.org or as redirected by its load-sharing. Ditto for LibreOffice, use www.libreoffice.org.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Galvin

Post by Galvin »

This is very bad think i am also receiving this type of fraud email mostly like you have won million by the Email Service providers or something else.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

AFAIK, only the mailing lists and issues site and you will be thanked for your trouble by having your name and email address advertised on the internet.

The dev mailing list is probably the most likely place to report it. Whether anything will be done remains to be seen.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
njefferson

Post by njefferson »

I am new to the forums and got to read this. I must express my sincere request to the members concerned with the monitoring of the project to take some action, such as filing a complaint or making this thread a sticky.
Open Office 3.4 On Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

This topic is already a sticky since a long time. From almost the beginning in fact.
That's part of the opensource system, I doubt we can do much against this.
Users should also learn what are the traps on the internet. New technologies require new behaviors and new reflex. They can't be assisted everytime they are on the net. When you go in a low cost country and buy a forged luxury good, you do know what you do because there are hints about this. Same on the net.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
hardNOTsoft
Banned

Post by hardNOTsoft »

Hagar Delest wrote:This topic is already a sticky since a long time. From almost the beginning in fact.
That's part of the opensource system, I doubt we can do much against this.
Users should also learn what are the traps on the internet. New technologies require new behaviors and new reflex. They can't be assisted everytime they are on the net. When you go in a low cost country and buy a forged luxury good, you do know what you do because there are hints about this. Same on the net.
What we CAN do is report the sites to the hosting and domain providers, found via WHOIS.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes you can. Use the dev mailing list for that.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kawa1111
Banned

Post by kawa1111 »

RoyFeni wrote: Moral of the story: Never impulse shop online after taking your sleeping pill.
Great!!! :lol:
Last edited by floris v on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spammy signature
jameshacker

Post by jameshacker »

i also got this mail.... two three months back.... :roll:
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
Whatsisname

Post by Whatsisname »

A basic tenet with any offer is to disregard the means of communication that it is offered through and search for the organisation that the offer is about yourself, that way you cut out the channel through which an offer is made and hopefully minimize any abuse. It's a case of you go and find what you want and cut out the middle man, who in these cases are the abusers, basically ignore cold callers and do your own research.
Open Office 4.2.2 Windows 8.1 X 64
jeffl

Post by jeffl »

Should we have a black list here so when people search for the name, they will see the message from here.
OpenOffice 3.0 Mac OS 10
adriansmith
Banned

Post by adriansmith »

OMG what is going on I got the same Email what to do now?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dparul000
Banned

Post by dparul000 »

Note that some charge a small fee for a CD-ROM with sometimes additional material like extensions, ... it can be useful for people without fast internet access.
kerrylowes

Post by kerrylowes »

You can download the genuine one from the official website http://www.openoffice.org/download and it does not ask for any payments to be made. :super:
r2openeimer

Post by r2openeimer »

I have just seen this post and this week I came across some of this scam frauds trying to get an update. One of the reasons I joined the forum was to solve some questions I currently have. Here you can get all the help you need. Although it has already been said, threads like this one are necessary for those who may be clueless in certain situations (I include myself). Thanks for your help!