[I Give Up] Idea: Autoformat Text

Talk about anything at all....
Fiddlety-Me

[I Give Up] Idea: Autoformat Text

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

Epic, went through the trouble of writing up my entire idea, twice, for an Open Office Playwrite only to have the forum log me out in the middle of writing it so that I had to log back in after hitting submit, wiping my post completely. So now I'm not going to bother.

Idea: Custom autoformat font/color/background for words and phrases in Open Office Writer, please.
Last edited by Fiddlety-Me on Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: Idea: Autoformat Text

Post by robleyd »

When you log in, make sure you check the box Log me on automatically each visit and don't log out, rather just close your browser tab.

As well, you could consider composing a long post in an external editor, perhaps notepad, and copy the complete message here, then add attachments, do formatting etc.

In respect of "autoformatting", use of styles may well cover your needs. You didn't specify, but I guess you are referring to Writer? If so, see the Introduction to Styles for more information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

To prevent loosing longer posts you can
  • hit the preview sometimes, so the site knows you are active
  • Copy all your text to the clipboard by Ctrl-A Ctrl-C to have a copy on your sytem and paste after new login.
  • using the back button of your browser when finding to be logged out can often bring back also your typed epos. So you can then try to copy it to the clipboard even after logout. Not always working, so I recommend the first two precautions. Can also used together...
J.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Fiddlety-Me

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

@robleyd
@Mountaineer

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I'm sorry, I was already exhausted because it was late, (1:50AM) and I was already frustrated because I was dealing with something that wasn't functioning on my computer. Now that I've had time to sleep, I feel stupid for letting my mood get the better of me.

@robleyd specifically
I looked into styles already. Didn't see anything that fit the bill. I think you misunderstand what I'm talking about, but that's ok, because I can see that in my tired stupidity, I failed to even remotely get the summary of my idea across. Way to go, 2AM Me, you played yourself.

I'll try to rewrite the idea as I had it:
There's this program called CelTx, it's garbage, and near impossible to find these days, because the company that made it went full Cloud at some point. You can still get the an old edition, free, but it's total trash.
However, there are some functions in it that are useful to people like me. The program is sort of like a simplistic word editor, but it allows you to designate words as different elements: characters, props, locations, cameras, animals, sets, etc. It then saves those to a section called Master Catalog, where you can reference every element you've added, give them tags for sorting, and add in statistics such as gender, height, weight, age, description, and character motivation for characters.

It will also format those elements. Text in the actual word editor part that are designated as characters turns red, text set as a location turns blue, and props are purple. However, it has to be activated manually. I'd prefer to be able to set this up to happen automatically, something I was unable to do in Writer.
Example: I'm currently trying to take notes for a game I'm working on. I want certain words to stand out at all times. In my notes, I have days of the week bold and pink, and stat changes bold and orange.
IE: Player Character goes to X, Y, Z classes on Monday and gains 20 Rep. I couldn't figure out how Writer can be set up to change specific words to specific formats automatically as I type. Maybe there is a way, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to designate specific words or phrases.

I'd like to be able to autoformat text to be bold and colored as I type, to save me time. Would also be nice to not have to go back through a document and change every reference to a word to a formatted word if I decide, for instance, that classes in this character's school are going to be bold, italic, and red.

Open Office Playwrite doesn't have to stop at just colors, though. It could be filled with format tricks perfect for screenplay writers. Perhaps a special character or special character combo can be designated to do things such as autoformat a character's name to all caps, and the text following it to right justified, automatically changing it to character indication and character dialogue format without breaking flow.
IE:
ROBIN
Holy cameos, Batman!
(But right justified instead)

Just an idea that would appeal to people like me, and help speed up my note taking and script writing. If you guys need me to create a new post so that the idea can be front and center, instead of my absolute screw up being front and center, please do let me know, and I'll post it as a new topic.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There are a number of such applications already.

You could examine
oStorybook, Manuskript. There is a list of some twenty or so others at
https://financesonline.com/writing-enhancement

No point in reinventing the wheel.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Fiddlety-Me

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

RoryOF wrote:There are a number of such applications already.

You could examine
oStorybook, Manuskript. There is a list of some twenty or so others at
https://financesonline.com/writing-enhancement

No point in reinventing the wheel.
oStorybook
They forgot the .exe in their own download.

Manuskript
The procedure entry point GetDaylightFlag could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll

Grammarly
Plugin for Edge

Reverso
Spellchecker

Ginger
Plugin for Edge

WhiteSmoke
Not free

LanguageTool
Plugin

PaperRater
Can't be used offline

Hemingway Editor
Just highlights text, which OOW can already do

ProWritingAid
Plugin for Chrome

OnlineCorrection.com
.com

SpellCheckPlus

Grammar Slammer
Not free

Virtual Writing Tutor
This is a test for students, not software

Microsoft Word
No. the future is not mobile and Microsoft needs to get over it. I can't stand the ugly mobile layout.

Google Docs
Google...

Slick Write

GrammarCheck
"Entry-level writing application"

WordPerfect Office X8
Not free

SentenceChecker.org
.org

After the Deadline

AutoCrit
"a web-based fiction manuscript editing tool for indie writers"

The wheel hasn't been invented yet.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

My tip 1.:

There is an extension for the LibreOffice Writer (named Code Highlighter) to format (highlight) some lists of "words" in the program codes.

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/e ... ighlighter

Maybe you can modify the source code of the extension for your task. Maybe you can create a "virtula programming language" with word lists to be colorize...
Last edited by Zizi64 on Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

My tip 2.:

The AutoCorrect function can substitute a word to an another word together with the formatting properties (together with the character style). Just create the desired character styles (with "- None -" value of the "Inherit from property"), set the desired formatting properties of the style. Format the sample words by the character style, and add them to the word list of the Autocorrect feature. You can use yome marking characters (*) - if you want not substitute all of the same words. The Writer will substitute the word to the formatted one when you typed in it. (Check in the "While typing" option in the feature, and do not check in the option "Text only".):

Replace --> With
*apple ---> apple
(Copy paste the word "*apple" formatted by Character style "Red" into the input boxes of AutoCorrect feature, delete the * mark from the "with" field and it will be appeared without the marking)

You must format and add all of the desired words to the AutoCorrect once.

(Tested in the LibreOffice 6.1.6.)
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Fiddlety-Me

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

Zizi64 wrote:My tip 2.:

The AutoCorrect function can substitute a word to an another word together with the formatting properties (together with the character style). Just create the desired character styles (with "- None -" value of the "Inherit from property"), set the desired formatting properties of the style. Format the sample words by the character style, and add them to the word list of the Autocorrect feature. You can use yome marking characters (*) - if you want not substitute all of the same words. The Writer will substitute the word to the formatted one when you typed in it. (Check in the "While typing" option in the feature, and do not check in the option "Text only".):

Replace --> With
*apple ---> apple
(Copy paste the word "*apple" formatted by Character style "Red" into the input boxes of AutoCorrect feature, delete the * mark from the "with" field and it will be appeared without the marking)

You must format and add all of the desired words to the AutoCorrect once.

(Tested in the LibreOffice 6.1.6.)
Really roundabout way of doing it, but this works in Open Office 4.1.10. However, it doesn't work with numbers and text together. I'm not going to sit here and add 1 Rep, 2 Rep, 3 Rep and so on. Thanks for the tip, though.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

However, it doesn't work with numbers and text together. I'm not going to sit here and add 1 Rep, 2 Rep, 3 Rep and so on.
Because this function works with the WORDS (or in LibreOffice with words and with a part of a word)

You can do it by separated typing (and setting) the numbers and the characters as standalone "words":
*1 ---> 1 ... and so on for 2, 3, etc. numbers...
*Rep ---> Rep
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The string
*1_Rep ---> 1_Rep works for me. (The underscore character means a non breaking Space in this sample!!!)
Use the Shift-Ctrl-Space to insert a non breaking space into the document.
Fiddlety-Me

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

Zizi64 wrote:The string
*1_Rep ---> 1_Rep works for me. (The underscore character means a non breaking Space in this sample!!!)
Use the Shift-Ctrl-Space to insert a non breaking space into the document.
This trick, as well as the asterisk trick, doesn't seem to work in Writer. I have to write out the asterisk, and use the non-breaking space as a character before it will bother to replace the text. I also realized that doing it your way would add rules to every document, not specifically just my notes document.

I stand by Open Office Playwrite as an idea. I mean, Apache 'reinvented the wheel' with Open Office Draw. I don't have it installed, because I have Photoshop already, so I don't really know what it does, but surely it's weaker than GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) for instance.
Open Office Impress is just going to be Powerpoint, right? I don't see how a screenplay editor is such a big deal.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There are a number of Screenplay extensions for OpenOffice at
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/se ... screenplay
Fiddlety-Me

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

RoryOF wrote:There are a number of Screenplay extensions for OpenOffice at
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/se ... screenplay
Alright, alright. I give up, Jesus. I'll keep my ideas to myself next time. No one wants to make their software good these days. Should have learned better from Autodesk and Pixologic. Message received loud and clear.

And yes, I did look at them. They show promise, but are ultimately too unprofessional. CelTx does so much more than any of those extensions.
robleyd

Re: [I Give Up] Idea: Autoformat Text

Post by robleyd »

Given that this forum consists of users helping other users, and does not have developers visiting, it is no surprise that your ideas haven't been accepted as a request for enhancement. The best we can do is suggest methods which may or may not exactly meet your needs.

If you look at the Survival Guide for the forum you will find a link to a tutorial on reporting bugs and/or requesting enhancements.
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix broken link
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

This trick, as well as the asterisk trick, doesn't seem to work in Writer.
It works. I have tried it in my LibreOffice Writer.
Note:
The LibreOffice has more advanced features: maybe some functions not work (not exist) in the Apache OpenOffice.

I also realized that doing it your way would add rules to every document, not specifically just my notes document.
Yes, it is true. The Autocorrect is for every document. There is no way to set it particularly to one document only.
Fiddlety-Me

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

robleyd wrote:Given that this forum consists of users helping other users, and does not have developers visiting, it is no surprise that your ideas haven't been accepted as a request for enhancement. The best we can do is suggest methods which may or may not exactly meet your needs.

If you look at the Survival Guide for the forum you will find a link to a tutorial on reporting bugs and/or requesting enhancements.
To be fair, I have received some good suggestions on software and Writer tricks to try out. The idea was kind of secondary to getting Open Office to simply Autoformat colors and font, but methods by which to do that are a little... overzealous, stretching to other documents, otherwise I would have been satisfied. The idea was just something I came up with while explaining what I wanted Writer to be able to do for me, so I changed the title, but then when I got logged out I changed the title a second time.
I wanted to see if people liked the idea and wanted to add anything. 'Giving up' was giving up on seeing if there's any community support for it. I suppose I should have asked for thoughts and improvements, I was tired and didn't think it would be necessary to ask specifically, but I get the impression no one likes it, and that it wouldn't have changed the outcome much. I'm not too bothered by it one way or the other. I'm just glad I didn't get bullied. I've been to some real toxic forums, where ego reigns supreme, and kind of expected that here, too.

But thanks for the tip. And thanks, all, for the kindness.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A survey of a some multicolumn AV editors is at
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/best- ... re-4869848

I have not looked at that in detail to ascertain if some are based on public source code; if they are, that may give you a starting point for your project.

Remember, no one on Forum was born knowing how to program - we all had to learn - some for a profession, even more to solve a particular problem that affected their use of OpenOffice or some other application. If you want your suggestion implemented, you are the person to attempt it.
Fiddlety-Me

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

RoryOF wrote:A survey of a some multicolumn AV editors is at
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/best- ... re-4869848

I have not looked at that in detail to ascertain if some are based on public source code; if they are, that may give you a starting point for your project.

Remember, no one on Forum was born knowing how to program - we all had to learn - some for a profession, even more to solve a particular problem that affected their use of OpenOffice or some other application. If you want your suggestion implemented, you are the person to attempt it.
I know I hinted at being a game developer, but I couldn't program my way out of a wet paper bag even if half the work was already done for me. I'm terrible at it. I can fake it like an all-star, but not all the time.

I see CelTx is at the bottom of that list. These ones might be worth looking at. I'll give em a try and get back to you. Thank you.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Fiddlety-Me wrote:Epic, went through the trouble of writing up my entire idea, twice, for an Open Office Playwrite only to have the forum log me out in the middle of writing it so that I had to log back in after hitting submit, wiping my post completely.
 Edit: See below 
The forum did not log you out. You almost certainly mistyped something and you logged yourself out or moved away from the page.

If you use a decent browser like Firefox it would have remembered what you had typed when you returned ...

You can do an "edit in two columns" hack with linked frames - see Help or the User Guide. You need first to set up an empty document with the linked frames. Lock the frames positions and sizes.

The AutoHotKey utility replaces predefined text with what you want similar to AOO's AutoCorrect.
Attachments
linked frames.odt
(21.03 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think the forum will automatically log out a User who takes longer than 15(?) minutes to compose a post. Very long posts, typically tutorials, are better composed offline, then Copied and Pasted into a Forum post.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:I think the forum will automatically log out a User who takes longer than 15(?) minutes to compose a post. Very long posts, typically tutorials, are better composed offline, then Copied and Pasted into a Forum post.
Rory

Thanks - I stand corrected :oops:

Firefox still saves it :super:
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Yes; there is a session length setting in the forum configuration which sets the time before a user is logged out due to inactivity. I don't know what this forum is set to, but the default setting is 3600 seconds. If the user clicked "Remember Me" when he last logged in he will be logged back in next visit.

I have 'remember me' selected and I very rarely have to log in, even after an overnight absence.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Fiddlety-Me

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

John_Ha wrote:
RoryOF wrote:I think the forum will automatically log out a User who takes longer than 15(?) minutes to compose a post. Very long posts, typically tutorials, are better composed offline, then Copied and Pasted into a Forum post.
Rory

Thanks - I stand corrected :oops:

Firefox still saves it :super:
I am using Firefox. But I have so many blockers, spoofers, and overrides added to it, any image I try to upload to any site shows up as little more than red and yellow 'white noise', so I'm sure that's bound to have been why it didn't.

I've been using Open Office Writer for over a decade, now, and have never seen anything called AutoHotKey. Where exactly is it located? I wouldn't know the first place to look.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

It isn't part of Apache OpenOffice, but a separate Windows application. Where to look? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=autohotkey or use your favourite search engine.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Fiddlety-Me

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

robleyd wrote:It isn't part of Apache OpenOffice, but a separate Windows application. Where to look? https://duckduckgo.com/?q=autohotkey or use your favourite search engine.
Quite a bit more complex than I thought it would be. Thanks for the link, though. I'll have to mess with this and see what it can do.
Fiddlety-Me

Post by Fiddlety-Me »

@RoryOF
A couple of those screenwriting programs were pretty good, but it seems CelTx is still the closest to what I was expecting.