Derivative works, Copyright/CopyLeft, Open source licenses

Talk about anything at all....
norms

Derivative works, Copyright/CopyLeft, Open source licenses

Post by norms »

Edit: Split from topic Has OpenOffice died? 
Derivative Works.

I am about to publish my book "The Little Horn of Daniel (End Time Prophecy 101)" and I have qualms about the definitions under copyright or copyleft and the licenses that govern open source software. I am worried that my work which was largely done with Apache Open Office version 3.4.1 will in the future come under what may be the legal definition of a derivative work. While it is not a program the use of the open source program may make my book be partly owned by Open Office, as a derivative work. I have yet to see a case which has been decided that defines it, so that becomes case law. I am anticipating that this issue could pose a bit of a problem later.
oOo Ver. 3.4.1
Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Has OpenOffice died?

Post by robleyd »

OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 is not an Apache product - at that time Oracle was the 'owner' of the application and licensing was under LGPL version 3 [Source Wikipedia]

In any case, the license is not applicable to works produced using the application, but rather to software applications based on and derived from the source of the particular application. See also https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.ht ... sOutputGPL

Note - I am not a lawyer so my advice may only be worth what it cost you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Re: Has OpenOffice died?

Post by RoryOF »

Your text is not in any way owned by OpenOffice, any more than it would be owned by a typewriter, supposing you had used such to write it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Re: Derivative works, Copyright/CopyLeft, Open source licens

Post by MrProgrammer »

norms wrote:I have qualms about the definitions under copyright or copyleft and the licenses that govern open source software. I am worried that my work which was largely done with Apache Open Office version 3.4.1 will in the future come under what may be the legal definition of a derivative work. While it is not a program the use of the open source program may make my book be partly owned by Open Office, as a derivative work. I have yet to see a case which has been decided that defines it, so that becomes case law. I am anticipating that this issue could pose a bit of a problem later.
Since you have a legal question, you should consult with a local attorney who practices in this field of law, not ask in a user-to-user forum with people from around the globe. No one here can provide legal advice for you.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).