OpenOffice Android app

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
markwrites

OpenOffice Android app

Post by markwrites »

Is there an open office android app I can get for my phone without downloading from google store

I want to be able to read and edit writer type word processing files on my phone for transfer to my PC which as OO 4.19
I have libreoffice viewer but that seems to be read only i cannot edit files on it
Is Collabora Office compatible with OO
Last edited by markwrites on Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OO 4.1.15 on Windows 7 64 bit
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: open office android app

Post by Zizi64 »

Is Collabora Office compatible with OO
The Collabora Office is a version of the LibreOffice, and the LibreOffice was forked from the OO. All of them use the ODF file formats as default file format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#History
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Anything that produces odt files is "compatible".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

I got Collabora. It says read only. i have to make a copy to edit .Is this how it usually works?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Can you upload your sample document here?
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
markwrites

Re: OpenOffice Android app

Post by markwrites »

No i can't it is a private document, sorry. But it is a dot odt file. With Collabora i have to create new copy to edit
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Where you tried to open it from? Is it an attachment of an email?
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

Zizi64 wrote:Where you tried to open it from? Is it an attachment of an email?
yes attachment
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

You must download (save) it onto a local place before.
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

oK will try that, thank you

EDIT sorry thought was solved

I downloaded the document from email to the phone. I can edit but cannot save the edit.It says "document cannot be saved" A document originated on the phone can be edited and saved though
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you save under another name or in another folder of your phone? It may have been saved in a temporary folder, write protected.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

markwrites wrote:I can get for my phone
A phone is it the right device to use a productivity suite?

See Andropen Office, the unofficial port of OpenOffice for Android system.
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

Bidouille wrote:

it's only on google play. I do not want to download from google or log in.why can't they put the apk here? Its on other sites i don't kow how safe they are https://andropen-office.en.uptodown.com/android

I don't understand this google obsession. why cant developers put an apk on their home site
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

markwrites wrote:I don't understand this google obsession. why cant developers put an apk on their home site
Because people do not run any backups nor updates. "Smart phones" are successful because they take away all computer admin stuff away from you. I don't feel the need to explain the other side of this coin.
I would save all smart phone stuff (speech-to-text, conversations, typing and copy-paste collections) in plain text. At home I would paste all that plain text material into my text document (diary, book, whatever) and apply styles.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

markwrites wrote:
Bidouille wrote:

it's only on google play. I do not want to download from google or log in.why can't they put the apk here? Its on other sites i don't kow how safe they are https://andropen-office.en.uptodown.com/android

I don't understand this google obsession. why cant developers put an apk on their home site
Google claims to check that the software in their shop is safe to use. Would you trust the manufacturer of software to ensure that the software that they publish is safe (for instance when the sole purpose of the software is a hack your phone)?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

markwrites wrote:why cant developers put an apk on their home site
Are you the one funding a website to provide this service for free?
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

Bidouille wrote:
markwrites wrote:why cant developers put an apk on their home site
Are you the one funding a website to provide this service for free?
Am i claiming I am? If they can host the windows exe why not host the android apk and fund it however the site is funded
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

Google claims to check that the software in their shop is safe to use. Would you trust the manufacturer of software to ensure that the software that they publish is safe (for instance when the sole purpose of the software is a hack your phone)?
I think it would be more trustworthy if it was on the OOs site like the exe for windows. I do not have google apps i have open source apps from F Droid
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I dare say that an app that can be downloaded from the site of a well known manufacturer will be safe, I'm not so sure about the safety of many others. We have had many people here who had downloaded a version of OpenOffice from another website, some actually paid for it, only to find that it was loaded with spyware or malware. You google for some not well-known app, you find a website where it's hosted, count yourself lucky if it's the real site and not a sham site hosted by people who want to include your hardware in their botnet.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

floris v wrote:I dare say that an app that can be downloaded from the site of a well known manufacturer will be safe, I'm not so sure about the safety of many others. We have had many people here who had downloaded a version of OpenOffice from another website, some actually paid for it, only to find that it was loaded with spyware or malware. You google for some not well-known app, you find a website where it's hosted, count yourself lucky if it's the real site and not a sham site hosted by people who want to include your hardware in their botnet.
I know that. I would only download OO for windows from here. That is why i asked if the other site https://andropen-office.en.uptodown.com/android was safe to get the apk
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Andropenoffice is not an Apache supported port of OpenOffice, so it is not hosted on the sites hosting the official Apache OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

RoryOF wrote:Andropenoffice is not an Apache supported port of OpenOffice, so it is not hosted on the sites hosting the official Apache OpenOffice.
OK i see
markwrites

Post by markwrites »

Bidouille wrote:
Bidouille wrote:A phone is it the right device to use a productivity suite?
Apparently it is https://www.collaboraoffice.com/release ... n-f-droid/