Is Speech to Text a feature of OpenOffice?

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
commodolorem

Is Speech to Text a feature of OpenOffice?

Post by commodolorem »

Has anyone an Idea where can I find a tool to record speech via microphone and OpenOffice will write it into text ?

Word has it built in, but I can not find this feature anywhere inside OpenOffice ?!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from General Discussion forum to User Experience
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 / Youtube MP3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Speech to Text

Post by Zizi64 »

I can not find this feature anywhere inside OpenOffice
Because there is not such feature neither in the Apache OpenOffice nor in LibreOffice.

If your operating system has such feature, then you can import the result textual file into your AOO/LO documents
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Search the Writer forum with dragon for lots of posts about speech to text.

A simple workaround is to use your phone or tablet to go speech to text and import the resulting text.

Another is to dictate into a Microsoft program (like MS WordPad, MS Works Word Processor, or even MS Notepad - all are supplied free with Windows) to get the text, and copy the text to AOO for final editing. There are probably similar solutions on MacOS and Linux.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

bradshaw

Re: Is Speech to Text a feature of OpenOffice?

Post by bradshaw »

You can always just use a different speech to text tool and copy/paste the results back into OpenOffice. This is what I do. That way you can find a speech-to-text tool that works for you. I looked at https://Otter.com/ which was pretty good but switched to https://Hyperia.net because it gives both a speaker-labeled transcript and a summary which i ended up using more than the transcript for some purposes
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 11.4
bavumybel
Banned

Re: Is Speech to Text a feature of OpenOffice?

Post by bavumybel »

I would like Open Office to have such a feature, but no one implemented it yet. And, perhaps, there's no aim in doing it because you can use your mobile phone or desktop to do it and then import the reults.
Windows 10, Open Office 18.21