Better way to submit ideas

Talk about anything at all....

Better way to submit ideas

Postby markush » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:35 pm

Hello everybody,
I have some ideas about features that I would like to discuss. But browsing the OpenOffice side, it took me very long to find out where one should post suggestions for improvements. Even now, I'm not really sure, where the right place is. Is it here in the forum? Is it via the report system? And will the people responsible read the suggestions made?

I think it should be easier for unexperienced users, to submit suggestions or feature requests. A very good example for using the users creativity to improve a project is http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/(the source is publicly available) Here everybody can have an idea, and other users vote for it. I heard, that the issue tracker should do the same thing, but for me as an average user, this system seems a little bit complicated (and well hidden on the website). Therefore I suggest to create a site e.g. http://brainstorm.openoffice.com which should be the central place for average user suggestions. This could really boost public participation.

What do you think about it?
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x
markush

Re: Better way to submit ideas

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:03 pm

It is not so useful for inexperience users to be able to create issues. They do not know yet what can already be done with OpenOffice. Even if they are experienced PC users of Word or WordPerfect, they will often ask for features that already exist in a form different to what they are used to.

The Bugs and Issues database is the place where developers will looks for issues. Creating yet another blog will make the information harder to find, not easier. There are already too many places to look, as you discovered, it is hard for new users to find what they are looking for.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Better way to submit ideas

Postby markush » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:17 pm

I agree with you, that too many places are confusing for new users. I would not suggest, that this brainstorm site should be another place, it should be THE place. But I think it would be very useful if also "inexperienced" users could contribute and submit their ideas, for the following reasons:
- I think there are a lot of very experienced open office users who could make valuable contributions but are just inexperienced with issue trackers and the open source community
- Even inexperienced users who ask for features which already exist, can help openoffice, because that would be a way to find weaknesses in the user-interface
- If you have looked at the http://brainstorm.openoffice.com site you will see, that there is a voting system (like in the issue system), guaranteeing, that only interesting ideas receive attention
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x
markush

Return to General Discussion