[Solved] BaseSystem.dmg malware in Base?

Talk about anything at all....
Bruce in Louisville

[Solved] BaseSystem.dmg malware in Base?

Post by Bruce in Louisville »

Hello! I ran a scan on my MacBook, and the scanner reported that XCAssets in the BaseSystem.dmg was a malware backdoor.

Any info on this?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Open Office 4.1.8 ??? Mac OS Catalina (soon to be Big Sur)
MrProgrammer

Re: Malware in Base?

Post by MrProgrammer »

Bruce in Louisville wrote:I ran a scan on my MacBook, and the scanner reported that XCAssets in the BaseSystem.dmg was a malware backdoor.
Download OpenOffice only from http://openoffice.org/download.
Q03: How do I install OpenOffice on a Mac?

If you downloaded what you thought was OpenOffice from somewhere else, move it to the trash. There is no BaseSystem.dmg in Apache OpenOffice so I can't help further with your problem.
 Edit: If your computer has a BaseSystem.dmg file, it came from some other software you installed. OpenOffice doesn't use or need it. 
Good luck if you choose to install Big Sur. I would guess that OpenOffice has not been tested on that operating system.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Bruce in Louisville

Re: Malware in Base?

Pretty sure that I did the d/l from that location. Nevertheless, I will delete that file and uninstall, and reinstall from a fresh download. Will post results.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: BaseSystem.dmg malware in Base?

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Googling BaseSystem.dmg reveals it is an Apple operating system file and is not related to OO or LO Base.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: BaseSystem.dmg malware in Base?

Post by John_Ha »

False positives are unfortunately common.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bruce in Louisville

Re: BaseSystem.dmg malware in Base? [SOLVED]

Well, my face is red.

I assumed, because it had Base in the name, that it was related to my recent install of OO. Instead, it was part of the InstallCatalina package, which was part of a bootable USB I had prepared.

So, false alarm. Sorry to take up everyone's time.