[Closed] File/folder path redirection after using Dropbox

Talk about anything at all....
alanack

[Closed] File/folder path redirection after using Dropbox

Post by alanack »

Windows 7, OO 4.1.7

I had an extremely negative experience after downloading Dropbox recently, where virtually all of my document files were renamed and certain programs became dysfunctional. While I've uninstalled Dropbox, new documents created in OO are still being directed to a DropBox folder. The file path of these new documents is C:\Users\ack\Dropbox (Old)\My PC (ack-PC)\XXXX\XXXX. This is in spite of the fact that the document has been created from an OO document with the file path C:\Users\ack\mydocuments... I went in and tried to change the default file location to My Documents, and it seemed like it should have worked, but the new documents are still directed to the Dropbox file path. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Not an OpenOffice problem
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: File/folder path redirection

Post by Villeroy »

Dropbox is playing games with your files. How is this related to OpenOffice?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
alanack

Post by alanack »

Villeroy wrote:Dropbox is playing games with your files. How is this related to OpenOffice?
It's not directly related to OO. But I thought Dropbox might have changed some setting in OO that would be a simple fix, as I've uninstalled Dropbox. Perhaps the setting is in Windows...
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Perhaps the path remains in the registrymodifications.xcu file in your profile.

Try to reset your OpenOffice user profile. Do not delete the old profile. If it works fine with the new one, delete the new one, rename the old one to its original name and rename the registrymodifications.xcu file (to ... .old for example) and see if it's better or not.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
alanack

Post by alanack »

Thanks so much, Hagar, I'll give this a try later today and post the result.
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
alanack

Post by alanack »

I did reset the OO user profile, successfully, I believe, as it welcomed me and asked me my name and initials. Unfortunately, the new document file paths are still being renamed. Not sure what to try next, but thanks again for your help!
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

Check Options > OpenOffice > Paths to see the filepaths of your documents.

If the filepath to the folder with "Dropbox" is not there, it is not related to OpenOffice.

If it is there you should remove it

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
alanack

Post by alanack »

DiGro wrote:Check Options > OpenOffice > Paths to see the filepaths of your documents.

If the filepath to the folder with "Dropbox" is not there, it is not related to OpenOffice.

If it is there you should remove it
Thanks so much for your response. I had already looked at this, and was surprised to see that the Dropbox path was not there. But I'm no expert, so didn't know what to make of it. Anyway, it looks like I need to look at Windows or somewhere else for a solution. Thanks to all who have offered their help!
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

How I managed to cancel my Dropbox account:
Remove everything but don't expect that they actually delete anything.
Instead of reading their legal bullshit and searching for the cancel button to remove your account: Create a new Dropbox document (something like an office document in the cloud) with the following text: "Dropbox, go fuck yourself and delete this account!". It just works. A few weeks later I can't log-in anymore. Obviously, something reads and analyses our documents stored on their computers.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Windows 7 has Libraries that can contain several folders with one of them set as the default save location. The default save location for the Documents Library may have been changed from My Documents to the Dropbox folder. If so, change it back to My Documents.

Change the Default Save Folder for Windows 7 Libraries to Something Else (Like Your Dropbox)
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Villeroy wrote:How I managed to cancel my Dropbox account:
Remove everything but don't expect that they actually delete anything.
Instead of reading their legal bullshit and searching for the cancel button to remove your account: Create a new Dropbox document (something like an office document in the cloud) with the following text: "Dropbox, go fuck yourself and delete this account!". It just works. A few weeks later I can't log-in anymore. Obviously, something reads and analyses our documents stored on their computers.
Thanks Villeroy, you made my day!
:lol: :bravo:
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
alanack

Post by alanack »

Bill wrote:Windows 7 has Libraries that can contain several folders with one of them set as the default save location. The default save location for the Documents Library may have been changed from My Documents to the Dropbox folder. If so, change it back to My Documents.

Change the Default Save Folder for Windows 7 Libraries to Something Else (Like Your Dropbox)
Thanks for this tip, Bill! I tried to change the default folder from a couple of different angles, but just didn't have any luck. Not sure if Dropbox has hijacked that option or not, but I can save documents to My Documents without them being renamed. But when I copy and paste that same document to the desktop, it gets a new file path with Dropbox. Anyway, I sure appreciate all the help that is always so freely given on this site. I won't ask anymore questions, as it's clear now that this can't be fixed through OpenOffice. Thanks again!!
OOo 4.1.2 on Windows 7