How To Open PDF Documents Using OpenOffice

Talk about anything at all....
DavyP

How To Open PDF Documents Using OpenOffice

Post by DavyP »

Hi,
I just installed open office 4.1.8 on my windows 10 pro 64-bit computer, I was trying to use open office to perform this task. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think I can open a 'normal' saved pdf document while I'm using open office. Am I correct in assuming this to be factual, this seems really strange to me since microsoft office can open pdf documents.
David :cry:
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Beginners forum to General Discussion
Open Office 4.1.8 on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
RoryOF

Re: How To Open PDF Documents Using Open Office

Post by RoryOF »

If you wish to read a PDF document, you are better advised to use a dedicated PDF reader, such as Adobe Reader. If you wish to edit a PDF document, note that PDF is designed to be an output format, not easily editable. An extension to OpenOffice permits cosmetic editing, but not major restructuring of such a document.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
DavyP

Re: How To Open PDF Documents Using Open Office

Post by DavyP »

RoryOF,
Thanks so much for your timely reply, I guess I was expecting too much from open office, I guess it does what it's designed to do. As far as opening / printing pdf document's, most modern browser's allow for doing so.
David
Open Office 4.1.8 on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
RoryOF

Re: How To Open PDF Documents Using OpenOffice

Post by RoryOF »

I am old-fashioned and always recommend a dedicated PDF reader for printing PDF files; one has more control over that process than with a browser; Adobe Reader will even permit printing pages two up (and double-sided if the printer permits), taking care of the scaling to fit the page size (2 x brochure on US Letter, 2 x A5 on A4 paper) and the page layout for double-sided. This can be convenient for binding.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: How To Open PDF Documents Using OpenOffice

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] How do I view or edit a PDF file with OpenOffice?.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.