Save data to disc

Talk about anything at all....
retiredmp64

Save data to disc

Post by retiredmp64 »

I am starting a blog and need to save topics to a disc in case my desktop should crash. Cannot figure out where r who to save. Want to save to disc vs. thumb drive. Can list what is on a disc.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Save data to disc

Post by Bill »

You may need to provide more detail about what you're trying to do. I assume that it has nothing to do with OpenOffice since you posted in the General Discussion forum.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Disc (guessing CD or DVD) is not as compatible these days as thumb/flash drives.
If you have a DVD disc with your data and go to use it on a system that only has a CD drive (unlikely these days, but possible), then your disc is useless.
A CD will work in both, but has a data storage limitation of 650M (some manufacturers will show 700M)
While disc could be Blu-Ray, these are quite rare and would have similar problems to that specified for DVD.
Additionally a lot of systems these days don't have an optical drive at all and don't have room for one, unless installed externally.

I'd recommend that you go with a thumb/flash drive and they are available in sizes up 4G (possibly more, but 4G is the largest I'm aware of).
Any system with a USB port can take a thumb/flash drive, and it's been a long time (over 30 years) since I saw a system that didn't have at least one USB port.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

retiredmp64 wrote:Cannot figure out where r who to save. Want to save to disc vs. thumb drive.
If you're asking "how to save" files on a cd/dvd disc, you save the files on your hdd, then use the cd/dvd burner software on the computer to burn copies of the files on a cd/dvd disc. I use external hard drives instead of optical discs or thumb drives for storing backup files.

How to Copy Files to a CD or DVD in Windows 10

How to Burn Files to CD or DVD on Windows 10
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
retiredmp64

Post by retiredmp64 »

Thank you for the fast information. Only reason was thinking of using a disc is I can write on it what is recorded on it. Would seem harder to log info onto or into a flash drive. Guess I could use a number system for each thumb drive and keep a separate list with topics listed by the flash drive. Just trying to make things easier for me. But, sometimes maki8ng things easier actually makes things harder.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10