OpenOffice.org for mobile OS Android?

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
sswam

Re: OpenOffice.org for mobile OS Android?

Post by sswam »

The Nokia N series are not in the same device class as the Android and iPhone... the N series are very much palmtop computers and the OS is designed that way with stylus navigation etc. You don't (usually) get a stylus with an Android phone.
Well, I do think that the N900 is better than an Android or iPhone, because of its Debian-based Linux, keyboard, and "can have root". It is compatible with normal Linux/UNIX software. The new iPhone 4 and the newest Android phones do have more powerful hardware than the N900 (except if they omit a keyboard). Using OOo without a keyboard would be difficult I suppose. I don't think the device itself is in a different class, it's just running better software (supposing you want a little computer not just a phone).
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on N900 phone: Maemo + Easy Debian chroot
sirloxelroy

Post by sirloxelroy »

Just for a clarification. For all those who are complaining that porting OO to Java is impossible, take a look at NeoOffice. It is the OO system written for Mac and the complete front end is written in Java.

So yes, at least a new front end for OO can be written in Java.
OpenOffice 3.2.0 Linux Mint / NeoOffice 3.1 Mac OS X 10.5
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

But the front end doesn't do the actual work.

But I think the real issue isn't what can be done (in the sense that it is technically possible) it is more a case of where the (you'd be shocked to learn how meagre) OOo development resources should be focussed. There's too much to fix in the main-stream product for it to make any kind of sense to start developing for a new platform.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Mobilejunkie

Post by Mobilejunkie »

You can get a product called AlwaysOnPC (http://www.alwaysonpc.com) available for iPhone and Android that provides access to Open Office.
Accessing OpenOffice 3.1 on an iPhone via the AlwaysOnPC app - a great solution! (http://www.alwaysonpc.com)
Swiss

Post by Swiss »

Gentlemen,
I came onto the site looking for info on using OO on my Droid X phone. I have OO on my Windows7 PC and have used Calc to build programming for tuning motorcycle exhaust systems for racing. With the newer Android "Droid" phones it is getting to where the 1ghz. speed barrior is broken. 16+G micro memory cards are being used with access in some of the phones to use 32G cards. Thus you have sufficient memory and processing speed to work with OO. Catch is also that there are a NUMBER of new design systems coming out in "Pad" format to compete with the IPad, and using the Android operating system. There is a rapidly growing market for the OO.org to expand into. Don't hold back too long as no one else is going to be ignoring this new opportunity.

Thanks,
Jim
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
yosttheskanker

Post by yosttheskanker »

Recently I was thinking about how awesome an Android App that communicates with your impress on your computer so that on your phone you can see the now, next & note screen of the presenter console while running a presentation. This would be a sweet feature for presentations making it so that the presenter can move about the room. I'm guessing it would have to work over WiFi and not Bluetooth but this would still be AMAZING.

I don't really know how to code anything but I figured I'd throw this idea out on the forum just in case someone does know how to pull this off.
fletcher

Re: OpenOffice.org for mobile iphone 4?

Post by fletcher »

Will there be an Openoffice mobile for iphone 4 OS in the future. And I really hope to be very soon.
Cheers :D
TomTasche

Post by TomTasche »

I'm sorry for posting to a old thread, but this could be of your interest:

At the moment a colleague and me are working on a OpenDocument Viewer for Android. It's already available on the Android Market (http://www.appbrain.com/app/openoffice- ... che.reader).

Visit http://reader.tomtasche.at/ for more information.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions / feedback.

Have a nice day
Tom
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: live link disabled.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.10
adamsstephen

Post by adamsstephen »

OpenOffice was orginally created as StarOffice and designed to run on any browser running Java.

Sun bought the company to promote java!

Now it seems openoffice have made it incompatable.

Also the project was supposed to be open-source, which should make it availalbe to be moved, from one operating system to another.

So if we went back to Star Office, it should run on java on android, any one fancy trying it?

Being open-source, should mean that its easy to compile to the Android operating system, after all we are only using a screen, keyboard and hard drive API (Application Processing Interface).

Also we have had word processing systems running on as little as 16K, so how come we cannot find one to fit on 256Mb of internal memory and 2Gb of Flash based hard drive?
openoffice 3.3 on iwnodws 7
alex_white

Post by alex_white »

I use these two:

http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/android/

http://www.mobisystems.com/android_office/

both are useful and both have problems :)
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: live link disabled.
Windows + OpenOffice 3.1
Radler

Post by Radler »

It appears a bit ironic to me that on my Android Phone from Samsung I am getting an integrated application called "ThinkFree", which can nicely handle all the Microsoft formats from Word, Excel etc but not the OpenOffice formats. If I read all of the above discussion that would made me think that the Microsoft formats are better designed for mobile devices than the Open Document formats. I am fully confident that this would be a wrong assumption. That phone has currently 8 + 16 GBytes of storage and a 1 GHz processor and the next generation of more powerful phones is already announced.

Currently I am using OpenOffice on my notebook. I need to store the data as Microsoft formats instead of the original OpenOffice formats when I want to edit them on my Android phone. Doesn't that seem silly? So much for open standards ....
Radler
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See: [Solved] OpenOffice.org for Android devices.
Radler wrote:If I read all of the above discussion that would made me think that the Microsoft formats are better designed for mobile devices than the Open Document formats. I am fully confident that this would be a wrong assumption.
Of course your assumption is wrong. The MS formats are not better designed (it's the opposite, they are proprietary formats). But the support of the formats depends on the will to implement them through an application.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Radler

Post by Radler »

Haegar, that sounds plausible. But why is that will to implement on Android, which supposedly provides an open platform, stronger for the MS formats than for the Open Document formats?
Radler
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I guess that the devs focused on the MS file formats because they are much more used than ODF (sadly). "Open" is fine but they need market shares first...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

In case you missed it in another related thread, http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 50#p184976 , seems LibreOffice is headed that way.
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
dgolightly519

Post by dgolightly519 »

I really feel as though I must say..... Those of you saying that OpenOffice wouldn't work with Android because of the whole Java thing (android using mostly Java coding).....
http://download.openoffice.org/common/java.html
That is all.
Anything and everything can be ported to Android since it is based off of a Java/Linux Kernal it is the same basic stuff you'd get with a Linux based computer with Java. Anybody assuming otherwise knows nothing about coding. As long as a person has the current Android source code and the current Linux version Code for OpenOffice.org it should be doable....
And another thing. . . stop bashing on Android if you've never played around with Android. If you don't really know Android then you don't really have any place posting on this board about whether or not OpenOffice can be ported to Android.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

TheGurkha wrote:But I think the real issue isn't what can be done (in the sense that it is technically possible) it is more a case of where the (you'd be shocked to learn how meagre) OOo development resources should be focussed. There's too much to fix in the main-stream product for it to make any kind of sense to start developing for a new platform.
This still stands (and even more so given recent announcements.)
Gurkha Welfare Trust
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

dgolightly519 wrote:I really feel as though I must say..... Those of you saying that OpenOffice wouldn't work with Android because of the whole Java thing (android using mostly Java coding).....
http://download.openoffice.org/common/java.html
That is all.
Anything and everything can be ported to Android since it is based off of a Java/Linux Kernal it is the same basic stuff you'd get with a Linux based computer with Java. Anybody assuming otherwise knows nothing about coding. As long as a person has the current Android source code and the current Linux version Code for OpenOffice.org it should be doable....
And another thing. . . stop bashing on Android if you've never played around with Android. If you don't really know Android then you don't really have any place posting on this board about whether or not OpenOffice can be ported to Android.
Since you seem to know how to do it, I am sure the devs would be glad for your help in doing the port.
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

dgolightly519 wrote:I really feel as though I must say..... Those of you saying that OpenOffice wouldn't work with Android because of the whole Java thing (android using mostly Java coding).....
http://download.openoffice.org/common/java.html.
I'd love to see OOo on Android, so I could have a version of it on my HTC Desire. but as your link points out, OOo uses Java for Base, some wizards, and a small number of functions in the other components (Writer, Calc etc.) There is a mis-conception that OOo runs on Java - it doesn't. It uses a comglomerate of technologies, and Java is one of them, but Java is no where near the main one.
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

With Java disabled in the options or running on a system without without a bean of Java installed, OOo runs very well offering almost its full functionality. Without any Java I used to use Base with file based sources and non-Java databases such as MySQL.
If none of the complaining IT giants (trolls ?) is able to grab the source code and compile it on their preferred platform, there is nothing that could be done in the context of this user forum.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion »

alex_white wrote:I use these two:

http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/android/

http://www.mobisystems.com/android_office/

both are useful and both have problems :)
In case viewing you ODF documents is enough for you, just do a search for e.g. "ODT" or "ODS" on the Android Market. This will reveal some applications that are able to view OOo documents (all via a conversion to HTML it seems, so some formatting will be lost). Editing, I must admit, does not yet seem to have been implemented for ODF documents on Android.
OpenOffice.org 3.3 on Windows 7 / Mobile Document Viewer 1.2 on Android
valemigo

Post by valemigo »

I agree that trying to work with complex documents on a mobile phone with a tiny screen is impractical. However, there is a raft of Android-based tablets coming onto the market at present. These will begin to challenge both the iPad domination and the lower-end netbook PC spaces. I believe Android needs a reliable and robust office toolset in this space. Surely OpenOffice is the premier contender for this.
I'm a mere user, so the tech-speke goes way over my head. Nonetheless, I believe the game is on in the Android/tablet space.

Mike G
RGB

Post by RGB »

WebODF, a JavaScript app that uses HTML and CSS to display ODF documents, just landed on Android market with ports to iPhone and other mobile platforms coming:
WebODF homepage
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
dhunton

Post by dhunton »

I recently purchased an Android tablet, which I intend to use as my sole travelling computer. I often view (VERY rarely edit) my files when travelling - they're carried on a thumb drive. I would love to find a way to view these oO files on my tablet, so I don't have to mess around with converting them to another format or something similar. And being able to do minor edits on the tablet would be a great boon.

I do understand that there are limited resources for this type of conversion, but I hope students or similar can work on this very useful project.

Debbie
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Why don't you read this topic? ODF viewers for Android do exist.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
badaveil

Post by badaveil »

I don't have an Android phone...yet but am monitoring the scene for an OpenOffice.org mobile since I use LibreOffice. For the moment, all I found is the OpenOffice Document Reader by Thomas Taschauer herehttps://market.android.com/details?id=a ... che.reader which is an excellent start :bravo: after reading all the posting here. At least it is possible to read the files hopefully editable in future as well as for Impress.
ubuntu: Linux for human beings
henke54

Post by henke54 »

LibreOffice developer shows prototype Android and HTML5 ports :
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/20 ... -ports.ars
8-)
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
henke54

Post by henke54 »

BGR has learned from a reliable source that Microsoft is currently planning to release the company’s full Office suite for not only Apple’s iPad, but for Android tablets as well. The company is targeting November of this year for both launches. Additionally, our source has seen Microsoft Office running on an iPad first-hand and has said that it looks almost identical to the previous leak from The Daily a few months back, despite the fact that Microsoft flat out denied that the app was authentic. It is also plausible that Microsoft Office will be coming to the iPhone and iPod touch rather than only the iPad, as we’re told the loading screen in the app clearly said “Office for iOS” and not just iPad.
http://www.bgr.com/2012/05/23/microsoft ... id-launch/
:roll:
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
henke54

Post by henke54 »

Mary Jo Foley wrote:One of my Twitter buds, Adrian Clark, had an interesting observation about the supposed leaked screen shot of Office on the iPad. The first icon looks like Microsoft's Remote Desktop icon. What if Microsoft's "Office for tablets" SKU is actually like the OnLive Desktop app and is simply these four Office apps running remotely (with some kind of "native" client code downloadable to the individual tablet devices)? Just a pure and total guess, but interesting, nonetheless....
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
henke54

Post by henke54 »

henke54 wrote:...BGR has learned from a reliable source that Microsoft is currently planning to release the company’s full Office suite for not only Apple’s iPad, but for Android tablets as well....
The Verge : Microsoft's Office for iPad, iPhone, and Android is a reality.
:roll:
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate