OpenOffice.org for mobile OS Android?

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
dowen

Re: OpenOffice.org for mobile OS Android?

Post by dowen »

I have a Google Nexus 10 with a screen resolution of 2560 X 1600. Resolution for some tablets is no longer an issue and will be increasingly less of an issue in the near future. So, if there is a team or even an individual developing OO for Android, you have my complete encouragement and blessing.

Thanks for all you do, OOO!

Dan
Dan Owen
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1
Mac OS X 10.6.8
jimbo8098

Post by jimbo8098 »

Perhaps a better idea would be to have the frontend on the android then it simply passes information back to a server based back end? The problem in this case would be who handles the data and the pricing in such cases. It would be handy for collecting information on the go though.
Windows 8 x64 Pro
Intel Core i5
16GB RAM
2x 660TI SLI

OOo 3.4.1
64G SSD + 1TB
jimbo8098

Post by jimbo8098 »

Perhaps the best course would be having the actual backend storage on a server side system such as in a cloud based application. If you have a database server running , say , MySQL all day every day then you could probably go ahead and run a server software for the open office mobile client. The data files would be stored on that user's server so OO would not be responsible for the data.

It seems like a bit of a roundabout way considering you could just create a PHP form or something then just use that instead. Sure you will need a bit of coding knowledge but that at least gives you the functionality you need.
Windows 8 x64 Pro
Intel Core i5
16GB RAM
2x 660TI SLI

OOo 3.4.1
64G SSD + 1TB