Printing: VMerror; Command "pdfconv"; Not enough memory

Talk about anything at all....
Beaksbury

Printing: VMerror; Command "pdfconv"; Not enough memory

Post by Beaksbury »

Hello there,

When I try and print, rather than the printer actually printing my .doc file, it just prints a piece of paper with the following written on it:

VMerror
Offending command "pdfconv"
Not enough memory

However, this machine has 64 Gb of Ram, so something is amiss.

I would appreciate any help, please!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed subject, was: Printing issues; Moved to General Discussion — not a MacOS or OpenOffice problem
10.15.6 Catalina
Open Office 40.10.7
MrProgrammer

Re: Printing: VMerror; Command "pdfconv"; Not enough memory

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Beaksbury wrote:When I try and print, [the printer] just prints a piece of paper with:
VMerror
Offending command "pdfconv"
Not enough memory
This is not an OpenOffice problem. It's your printer which does not have enough memory, not your Mac. View solutions in this link.
Postscript error: VMerror
Beaksbury's signature wrote:Open Office 40.10.7
40.10.7 does not exist. Change this to 4.1.7. Fix your forum signature in User Control Panel → Profile → Edit Signature.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Beaksbury

Post by Beaksbury »

Thank you for the response.

The printer is a Kyocera p2040Dw and is recently new and it has 256 Mb of memory and it doesn't appear to be upgradeable, so I am open to solutions...
10.15.6 Catalina
Open Office 40.10.7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Might this be an overflow error on a 64GB boundary in the printer driver? I suggest checking for an updated printer driver from the Kyocera site.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Do some approximate calculations.

An A4 page is 8.27" x 11.7". Assuming you print at 300 DPI that works out at 8.27 x 300 x 11.7 x 300 = 8.7 million pixels. If you use 24 bits per pixel that needs 3 Bytes per pixel. Hence a graphic image covering an entire A4 page printed in 24 bit colour at 300 DPI would need 26 MBytes of printer memory. You have 256 MBytes so if the printer requires the entire document to be rasterised and stored in its memory you could print about 9 such pages. Some memory will be required for other things but you get the idea.

Of course such a graphic is the worst case - a page of text requires far less memory as the text is vector graphics.

How big is your .odt file? If you have camera or phone photos as images they may be huge and if you pasted them in they will be far larger than the original JPG files. See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer and, in particular, how to set image pixel counts appropriately.

Look elsewhere for your problem. Begin by doing some diagnostic tests

1 Print a single page of text
2 Assume the document you are printing has 20 pages. Print the first 10. Does it work? The first 5? The first 1?
3 Print a web page from your browser.
4 Contact Kyocera support or user forum.
5 Create a new, empty document. Open a large photo image with an image editor or viewer. Copy it. Paste into the .odt file. Save it. Compare the JPG file size and the .odt file size - the .odt will be far bigger than the JPG. Does it print OK?
6 Print your document but choose Print to file during the print process. How big is the file - it is the file which will be sent to the printer.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mehmetin

Post by mehmetin »

Very simple solution for pdf docs printing: Open the printing panel/Advance, then click "Print as Image".

It will print it for you in one go.
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4