OpenOffice (or equivalent) for iPad

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
AltonCruz

OpenOffice (or equivalent) for iPad

Post by AltonCruz »

I have a new iPad mini4 that I hope to use as a substitute computer while traveling. Most of the documents on my PC are in Open Office Writer or Calc. I want to be able to open and edit them on the iPad, but there don't seem to be many apps that will let me do this. I hunted all over the App Store and all I could find was a reader app.

I found a version of Open Office that supposedly works within the browser, but when I tried it, it just led me around in an endless loop, never letting me create or open anything. And when I attempted to download the iOS version of Open Office from their site, it gave me a message that "your device doesn't allow downloads" or something like that. The link to a " mirror" wouldn't work, either.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista mcdvoice
robleyd

Re: Open Office (or equivalent) for iPad

Post by robleyd »

There is no version of OpenOffice for iOS. See OpenOffice for tablets for information on what is currently available.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed topic link after I merged topics incorrectly
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
sveld

Re: OpenOffice (or equivalent) for iPad

Post by sveld »

I believe the best alternative today is leveraging "Collabora Office" which is in the IOS Appstore, and free of course. This is just a branded version of LibreOffice and allows you to view and edit any document format.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/collabora ... 1440482071
LibreOffice 24.2.0.3 on Win11 and Linux (mostly openSUSE Tumbleweed), Collabora Office App on IOS and Android, Collabora Office Online (CODE) with Nextcloud
oldbluejeans

Re: OpenOffice (or equivalent) for iPad

Post by oldbluejeans »

FWIW I just installed Collabra Office on my iPhone, even though I use Apache Calc (Open Office also) and it's excellent. Not the holy grail of being able to edit files, but at least you can view them.
Thanks for the "heads up" on Collabra!