Minnesota: The City of Lino Lakes

Talk about anything at all....
CannedMan

Minnesota: The City of Lino Lakes

Post by CannedMan »

I am currently writing subtitles for a program for NatGeo which has a section of it dedicated to Minnesota. In the section’s introduction of Minnesota, they present it as ‘the City of Lino Lakes’. Reading up on Wikipedia (since Oxford Dictionaries, our national encyclopaedia, my dictionary and everything else turns up nothing), I learn that the origin of the word ‘lino’ is unknown, so I turn to you guys for help in this. Are there any local historians, linguists or other people who have any idea what the word means?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 / LibreOffice 7.0.0.3 on Windows 10 (x64)
RusselB

Re: Minnesota: The City of Lino Lakes

Post by RusselB »

While my own searches didn't turn up anything definite, there is a potential that the Lino came from the Liberal party.
This is a bit of a supposition based on the information obtained from the following websites, with the specifics of each site quoted beneath the site.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lino
LINO is also a politics-related acronym for:

Libertarian In Name Only
Liberal In Name Only
Labour In Name Only
https://www.bestplaces.net/voting/city/ ... lino_lakes
That entire page appears to be relevant to my supposition.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is possible that "lino" is a (phonetic or corrupted spelling) of a name in a native language. I have very recently run into such naming in a similar instance in another country.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
CannedMan

Post by CannedMan »

Thanks for these replies. I guess this means I'll just stick to ‘origin of name unknown’ for now, but will be very curious to learn more of this, should anyone discover something. @RoryOF: That very same thing is well-known in Northern Norway, where 19th century governmental representatives tried to figure out what Norwegian words the Sami were using when giving the names for various places. One such area is Hjemmeluft (‘Home-air’, /'jem:e.lʉft), which doesn't make sense at all; the actual Sami name for the place, Jiemmaluovta (/'ji.em:a.lu.ov.ta/), from jiepma = seal cub + luokta = bay or sound, means Sealcub’s Bay.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

A MOMENT IN HISTORY: The creation of Line O' Lakes

This article from the Anoka County Historical Society tells how the name "Lino Lakes" was selected.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
CannedMan

Post by CannedMan »

Bollocks.
451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact news@presspubs.com or call 651-407-1200.
Thanks a lot anyways!
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Basically, when names were being suggested in 1955, one suggestion was "Line O' Lakes" which was simplified to "Lino Lakes".
CannedMan

Post by CannedMan »

So it literally means ‘a line of lakes’?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

That's quite possible. If you look at a map of the area, there are more than a dozen lakes in the area and the Rice Creek Chain of Lakes Park Reserve is in the same county. It's my understanding from the article that the name Line O' Lakes was inspired by the town Land O' Lakes in Wisconsin.