OpenOffice Freezing, And Document Recovery

Discuss the spreadsheet application
JoeFromSD

OpenOffice Freezing, And Document Recovery

Post by JoeFromSD »

I have Win 7 and Open Office 4, and recently my ods spreadsheets are freezing and I need to End Task.

I go to open an ods file and get the 'Document Recovery', it finally open the SSheet, I enter one item and it freezes again.

If I use Excel 2016 it opens with a lot of gibberish in the cells.

I have it as Allowed in my Kaspersky AV

I Removed OO, then re installed it, but that didn't help my problem. Hope someone has a solution!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
crusader
Volunteer

Re: O Office Freezing, And Document Recovery

Post by crusader »

LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
JoeFromSD

Post by JoeFromSD »

OK that works, thanks, but I'd still like to find out why OO is not working right.
JoeFromSD

Post by JoeFromSD »

Darn, Libre did the same thing as I see in Excel, that is a bunch of #VALUE! where the totals should be.
1Excel VALUE.png
If I use open office, I enter one number and it freezes OO. When I open a file with OO, I first see this doc recovery window, then it opens, and freezes.
1 recovery.png
So all three spreadsheet programs aren't working on any of my 100s of spreadsheet files. Are all my S sheet files corrupted now?

Could someone take a look at this .ods and hopefully see what's wrong??

Someone made this s sheet for me (I don't know how to code) 10+ years ago and it's been working fine up until now.
Attachments
France Curved.ods
(13.62 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Opened perfectly for me using OO 4.1.4 on Xubuntu 16.04.03; edited and saved OK.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JoeFromSD

Post by JoeFromSD »

Darn,

so why could all of my s sheet files suddenly become corrupted / whatever? Obviously something to do with my computer??

Where could I get technical help with this?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Without actually seeing the formulae that result in #VALUE errors it is hard to diagnose; but is it possible that the argument separator in the formulae is wrong for Excel and LibO?
IIRC Excel likes a comma instead of a semicolon, as does LibO in some circumstances.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
JoeFromSD

Post by JoeFromSD »

Rory said the file I posted opened and worked for him. So why could all of my s sheet files suddenly become corrupted / whatever? Can't work with then using any of the 3 Spread sheet programs?

This s sheet was made over 10 years ago, but I've been using it up until about 5 days ago using Open Office. I just tried libre office, and Excel yesterday and saw it doesn't work either.

darn I don't really know what each of those cells you named are Robleyd, I don't know how to code these things.

where could I go to get help with this, my local repair shop or is there somewhere online? Need to get this corrected soon!
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Like Rory, the spreadsheet you attached opened, was editable, and saved, with no problems.
I'm going to suggest that you download the file you uploaded, and (if asked) replace your current file with the one you uploaded.
Then you should be able to open it, just like Rory and I.
I did note that none of the cells are returning #VALUE, and the only formulas I can see are simple multiplication, thus no parameter separator is required.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
JoeFromSD

Post by JoeFromSD »

OK! I downloaded it and made some changes, then saved it.

Opened it again, entered a few numbers,

and it froze up on me again. What could be causing it to freeze on me?

Those #VALUE! symbols I was only getting when I tried opening it with Excel and libre office.

really appreciate the help with this so far!
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

It's next to impossible for us to determine what is causing your OpenOffice to freeze up, mainly because we have no idea as to what other programs may have been in use at that time.
Try rebooting into safe mode, then see if OpenOffice responds properly.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'd try renaming your OpenOfice user profile. As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice. Start OpenOffice.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There's a problem with some of the cells used in formulas that is causing the #VALUE! error in LibreOffice, but I don't know what caused it. For example, right-click cell E10 and select Format Cells. On the Format Cells dialog, select the Numbers tab. On the right side, under the Language setting, there is a box showing an example number. Close the dialog and repeat the process for cell E11. The box which should show the example number is blank, indicating a problem with cell E11. Close the dialog box. Right-click cell E10 and select Copy. Right-click cell E11 and select Paste. The #VALUE! error in cells I11 (=E11*G11) and J11 (=E11*H11) should be replaced with "0".

Replacing all of the cells in column E should fix most of the #VALUE! errors. You can then click the few remaining cells showing #VALUE! to view the formulas in those cells and track down any remaining problem cells.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The cells causing the #VALUE! error in LO have a space inserted in the cell, so Calc is trying to use text instead of a number in the formulas. That seems to be the root cause of the #VALUE! error.
JoeFromSD

Post by JoeFromSD »

I open the ods, enter 1 number and it freezes on me so I can't check those cells. Any ideas for a fix to the freezing? I did an End Task and closed it, and now see a ~lock file in that folder?

Really appreciate all the help folks just hope we can fix this!
Attachments
1 New Pricing.ods
(19.11 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As Bill says, many of the E column entries are not blank, instead containing a space character; these characters are causing the problem and need to be removed. When the file freezes on you, if you leave it for some time does it comeback to allow editing?
JoeFromSD

Post by JoeFromSD »

I just made a test and after 20 minutes it's still frozen Rory.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Did you run the test with AOO, LO and Excel? Does it crash with all three programs? If so, then the problem is probably caused by some other program (I believe you mentioned Kaspersky) or your hardware. I don't have Excel, but AOO and LO don't crash when I edit the E column on Windows 10, Antergos or Manjaro.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is easy to verify that the program is crashing because of some other program. I suggest you physically disconnect your computer from your internet router, then start Windows in safe Mode. If OO runs correctly on Windows in Safe Mode, then the problem is caused by some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode. The antivirus program you are using is an obvious candidate for blame. I suggest disconnecting from the Internet while doing this to avoid any possible virus infestation while in Safe mode.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Freezing, And Document Recovery

Post by John_Ha »

JoeFromSD wrote:I did an End Task and closed it, and now see a ~lock file in that folder?
Lock files are deleted when AOO closes properly - delete it or it will cause a Recovery action.

Your file does not freeze for me. Try fred.ods, where I copied the entire sheet contents and pasted it into a new empty spreadsheet.
Attachments
fred.ods
(18.76 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JoeFromSD

Post by JoeFromSD »

Yeah John I can work with that one without freezing! What does that tell you about my problem??
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

JoeFromSD wrote:Yeah John I can work with that one without freezing! What does that tell you about my problem??
That the problem was with your spreadsheet and not with the program. When I copied and pasted into a new spreadsheet it fixed the problem.

If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.