Post by todge »

Help does open office have an outlook equilivent

If not what is the best to use
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Help does open office have an outlook equilivent

Post by Villeroy »

No, it's focussed on document editing. You can still use Outlook and use it's address books with OpenOffice.org.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
todge

Post by todge »

Villeroy wrote:No, it's focussed on document editing. You can still use Outlook and use it's address books with OpenOffice.org.
I don't have access to outlook any more as my trial period has now finished, so I was looking for something else, that I could get free
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
todge

Post by todge »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:See here: What stops me from going OO.org ? PIM !
Too much to read, so is the a good program that does, e-mail, contacts, amd calender all in one
Hagar Delest

Re: Help does open office have an outlook equivalent

Post by Hagar Delest »

Thunderbird + Lightning.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Help does open office have an outlook equivalent

Post by TheGurkha »

Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Houka

Re: Does OpenOffice have an Outlook equivalent

Post by Houka »

Nope. However if you have already purchased Exchange licenses, this may also cover Outlook. Check it out.
You should be cautious about using Outlook or Outlook Express, since both of them are sitting ducks for email viruses. Why, especially? Well, both of these programs are widely used (since they are shipped on a lot of PCs), and they share a lot of the same weaknesses, making them a great big juicy target for all those wretched virus writers.
putergod

Post by putergod »

I have to agree with the OP. Until Open Office / Libre Office included an Outlook equivilent, they will never be taken seriously in the corporate world. I also will not be switching until them either, for my home computers (with the exception of the linux machines for obvious reasons). I use outlook extensively. The integration between outlook, and the rest of the office suite, is essential.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The integration between outlook, and the rest of the office suite, is essential.
Please define "integration"
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
putergod

Post by putergod »

in·te·gra·tion   [in-ti-grey-shuhn]
–noun
1. an act or instance of combining into an integral whole.
2. an act or instance of integrating a racial, religious, or ethnic group.
3. an act or instance of integrating an organization, place of business, school, etc.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OK, you are running Ubuntu with OpenOffice.org 2.4 and with this equipment you miss the possibility
- to act or instance of combining into an integral whole nor does it provide act or instance of integrating a racial, religious, or ethnic group nor can you an act or instance of integrating an organization, place of business, school, etc.

I can assure you that your given tool can help you to socialize by any means. By magnitudes better than any Windows installation will ever do.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

putergod wrote:The integration between outlook, and the rest of the office suite, is essential.
Well, I'll rephrase Villeroy's question (not sure you've seized its real meaning...): what is the benefit of a tight link between an application dedicated to communicate (by mail and meetings through a calendar) and an application dedicated to produce documents?

At work, the company runs Lotus Notes and MS Office and there is no synergy at all needed. I've also worked for a company running MS Outlook and same conclusion, I've never needed any integration with MS Office.
putergod

Post by putergod »

Villeroy wrote:OK, you are running Ubuntu with OpenOffice.org 2.4 and with this equipment you miss the possibility
- to act or instance of combining into an integral whole nor does it provide act or instance of integrating a racial, religious, or ethnic group nor can you an act or instance of integrating an organization, place of business, school, etc.

I can assure you that your given tool can help you to socialize by any means. By magnitudes better than any Windows installation will ever do.
Actually, I just copied and pasted one of the "options" since it was a requirement.
On all my Linux boxes lies Open Office. However, I don't use those machine for "office". I use my Windows box with has MS Office 2010. I would make the switch to OOo on my Windows machine IF it included an integrated equivilent to Outlook (which I use HEAVILY).
putergod

Post by putergod »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
putergod wrote:The integration between outlook, and the rest of the office suite, is essential.
Well, I'll rephrase Villeroy's question (not sure you've seized its real meaning...): what is the benefit of a tight link between an application dedicated to communicate (by mail and meetings through a calendar) and an application dedicated to produce documents?

At work, the company runs Lotus Notes and MS Office and there is no synergy at all needed. I've also worked for a company running MS Outlook and same conclusion, I've never needed any integration with MS Office.
Just because you haven't used, and therefore fully realized, the benefits of the Outlook/Office integration, doesn't mean that others haven't either. If you don't need it, fine. No one is telling you that you do, but those of us that do, and those of us that have a major influence in IT decisions at an enterprise level that also feel this way, require it. I was only supporting the OP. I don't understand why the fanbois feel the need to try and force THEIR opinion down the throats of us that DISAGREE with THEIR opinion.

Simple FACT (INDISPUTABLE FACT):
Until OOo and/or Libre Office add a feature rich mail client/PIM that rivals Outlook and is fully integrated with the suit LIKE outlook, then OOo and/or Libre Office will NOT see very much entrenching into the corporate world (or my own personal world). If they want more exposure, and want to TRUELY become a MS Office ALTERNATIVE (and not just another office suite), then they BADLY need to but some SERIOUS thought into this issue.

You know why OOo is "all i need" to many? Because "many" don't use Office period (outside of work, IF it's an "office job" perse). The vast majority of computer owners in the world use windows mail and wordpad or MS Works (if they haven't switched to OOo). When they do switch, it's a vast improvement. However, given the applications that ARE in OOo, it seems to me their primary target is business/enterprise. While "business" may be fine with it, large enterprise, for the most part, won't until the mentioned requirement is met.

Let me say this in closing, so you truly understand where I stand... I WANT them to add this functionality because I WANT to ditch Microsoft!! but I wont at the cost of lower productivity, and I NEED OUTLOOK (and I do NOT want "completely" seperate applications! I LIKE the suite integration).
FJCC

Re: Does OpenOffice.org have an Outlook equivalent

Post by FJCC »

putergod - A few points:
I don't see that anyone is forcing anything down your throat. I see two people asking you to elaborate and so far you haven't done that. Like Hagar and Villeroy, I don't know what benefit Outlook's "integration" provides. Not that I don't believe you get a benefit, but the word integration isn't very specific.

A much more direct path to campaign for changes to OOo or LibreOffice would be on their respective mailing lists. There are no developers here.

There are very few, if any, indisputable facts.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please give facts showing what is the integration you're talking about.

If you, a person having "a major influence in IT decisions at an enterprise level" think that most computers runs Windows mail, Wordpad and Works, then hum, I'm wondering in what kind of enterprise you're in...
Any company runs MS Office, Outlook or Lotus Notes mostly according to my knowledge of the banking and industrial sectors (worked in 2 companies more than 100,000 employees with relationships with a bunch of suppliers and having a look at some communications with rank 2 suppliers).

Integration with the mail client will never be a problem, there are many other issues before. And it would mean that Lotus Notes with MS Office is a wrong choice, but I know several big companies having made this choice.

If you've good reasons, then just give them and perhaps they're worth features request. Else, it's just small talk about nothing.
/a3

Post by /a3 »

putergod wrote:Simple FACT (INDISPUTABLE FACT):
Until OOo and/or Libre Office add a feature rich mail client/PIM that rivals Outlook and is fully integrated with the suit LIKE outlook, then OOo and/or Libre Office will NOT see very much entrenching into the corporate world (or my own personal world). If they want more exposure, and want to TRUELY become a MS Office ALTERNATIVE (and not just another office suite), then they BADLY need to but some SERIOUS thought into this issue.
That is disputable. I don’t see any reason why OOo and LO would need to integrate an email client to be successful. The alternative is OOo/LO+Thunderbird, or another free email client. I there any reason why this wouldn’t work? :?

Thunderbird is a great product from Mozilla (I use SeaMonkey personally) and it wouldn’t make sense to duplicate the efforts Mozilla has already made. Thunderbird is heavily reliant on Gecko as well; OOo and LO are not.

Again, there isn’t any logical reason why a corporation would need to have everything all-in-one. I personally don’t want to see OOo/LO becoming bloatware anyway.
I NEED OUTLOOK
What's wrong with Thunderbird? Perhaps your email needs would be better discussed at a Mozilla forum and not an OOo/LO one?

If you want Calendars, have you read this? http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/
LibreOffice 4.2
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Villeroy wrote:
The integration between outlook, and the rest of the office suite, is essential.
Please define "integration"
putergod wrote:in·te·gra·tion   [in-ti-grey-shuhn]
–noun
1. an act or instance of combining into an integral whole.
2. an act or instance of integrating a racial, religious, or ethnic group.
3. an act or instance of integrating an organization, place of business, school, etc.
Hello, God!

I appreciate that, as a 'puter deity, you give what's asked for, not what the asker meant to pray for. So be it!

Perhaps the intended prayer was...
Please explain how "integration" should apply to the relationship between an Office application (such as MS Word) and a collaboration utility (such as MS Outlook).
In the name of Ada, Charles, and the pearly Gates.
Enter
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

Does 'fully integrated' , when referring to outlook and the rest of MSoffice mean that each individual product as 'Microsoft' written on it somewhere?
Perhaps it means you can write an email in outlook and attach a word document to it? Hum, can we do this with OOo/LO Writer and Thunderbird, Evolution, Kontact etc? yes we can.
Maybe using outlook contacts to add addresses to letters in Word? Can do that in Thunderbird, Evolution, Kontact, company database .......
Maybe mail merge from outlook contact? Um, let me think. No, this is getting too repetitive.

I vote for adding Internet Explorer to MS Office for a truly integrated solution, office functions, web browsing, email! You name it we got it in there. Hey could I call it an operating system and patent it? :bravo:
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
Zoidman

Post by Zoidman »

I for one would love to have OpenOffice or LibreOffice to be able to synchronize address tables in base with my mail client evolution address books (so they stay in sync) or share them directly. there is a "libreoffice-evolution" extension, but it is either dead, or Canonical does not care to have it work with Ubuntu anymore. I have looked high and low for a solution to get this done, but there seems to be no way neither from OO or Evolution developers. I hate Thunderbird, it flips out to often, and the Mozilla community is antisocial. I can find no email client that uses an hsql2DB or can interact with it, nor any program that can convert between the two. Micro$oft Exchange is out of the question, as I do not cater to people or companies that piss on the constitution and completely disregard peoples right to privacy! Nothing Microsoft is anywhere near free as defined by Richard Stallman. Google Contacts is another I don't want anything to do with.

So there is your reason to add a PIM to OO, but it sounds much easier to have it work with as many address books as possible. And yes there is a lot of need for it, there is need for anything that makes work easier.
LibreOffice 5.1.4.2 on Ubuntu 16.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Pay someone to write an SDBC driver for your favourite mail client address book or use csv.
Zoidman

Post by Zoidman »

Duh Villeroy, if I could pay someone every time I (and thousands of others) need a feature that would benefit the whole Office suit, I wouldn't bother with these forums, knowing darn well that there is always someone with a smug answer, rather than an ounce of foresight, let alone understanding!
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Only developers can solve this problem. There is not a single developer on this forum.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

While you wait for the integrated PIM appliction in LibreOffice/OpenOffice, this page may help some.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Zoidman

Post by Zoidman »

Thanks Keme, I have tried that rout many times before, but I never had all of the options (none that I could use) in the version of LO I got with Ubuntu, and I tried the newest LO, but that brought up many problems and incompatibilities... I am now switching to Linux SolydK OS in the hopes that it is not as crippled as Ubuntu. Ubuntu keeps changing to much, and not for the better; They drop good apps from their repositories with no warning, the new GNOME apps suck, and many other annoyances. I sure hope that it opens up some functionality I was missing.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

File>Wizard>Address Source is just a way to create an address database with fewer clicks. The result is the same as File>New>Database... Connect to existing database...

You can spend your life with distro hopping and find the same issue everywhere. As soon as somebody develops better database drivers for Mozilla and Evolution it will likely be adopted by all distributions of LO and AOO for all operating systems.
Complaining does not help. Somebody has to do the work actually.
Zoidman

Post by Zoidman »

Well, I have been using Ubuntu (and Linux for that matter), for going on 3 years now, and do not hop from distro to distro, so I don't have the experience you are talking about. I had the option to use my address book in LO when I first switched to Linux, but had not gotten that far with understanding databases. As soon as I was ready, the option was gone. Meanwhile whenever I looked for help, all I heard was "It's easy, just..." but the options did not exist for me. Then I started loosing more stuff that others could still get and use... so I decided to try something else. I Just switched to SolydK and already have a few options where I did not have one, and even got some beloved apps back I had to trade for crappy equivalents in Ubuntu. KDE rocks, and Dolphin is a powerhouse compared to Thunar (I had Ubuntu Studio with XFCE) I can also finally organize my applications menu any which way I want, including making new categories, without having to write or edit 100's of "desktop" files... So far it is already adding up to what I was looking for: Productivity. BTW I have heard of many others jumping ship because of Mark Shuttleworth's and Canonicals odd decisions, and the constant changes that introduce more bugs than improvement, all contrary to their slogan "Linux for human beings".

As soon as I get the time, I will try to use my Evolution address books as data sources in LO, I may even try all three options I have now!
henke54

Post by henke54 »

todge wrote:Help does open office have an outlook equilivent
If not what is the best to use
maybe this ? ->
Andreas Rösler at kopano.com on May 31, 2017 wrote:Kopano DeskApp is available for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Most of these features and integrations are brought to the browser by Kopano WebApp. Smartphones, tablets and Outlook (2013 and newer) with the Kopano Outlook Extension can be connected through Z-Push, the open source implementation of the Exchange ActiveSync Protocol (EAS).
Solutions like Kopano, combined with LibreOffice help users to disengage themselves of the dependency on Microsoft and enable companies to choose their software stack more freely.
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
Gaurang Sharad

Post by Gaurang Sharad »

Lightning and Thunderbird will work.
OpenOffice 2.4 on xubuntu