[Solved] I can select Afrikaans but it's not installed

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
eequiis

[Solved] I can select Afrikaans but it's not installed

Post by eequiis »

Hi! I've been using OpenOffice for a long time, but when I installed the new version 4.1.3, Afrikaans dictionary appears to be installed, but it's not. It's not a big problem and I can work just fine, so it's not urgent or very important, but it annoys me.

In the language select bar (down below) I can choose my Spanish (and English) dictionary, but also the Afrikaans dictionary, and I've never installed Afrikaans extension. In fact I've downloaded the Spanish full installer, and the problem started the first time I opened the program, before installing the English dictionaries.
In the Tools->Options->Languages menu, Afrikaans doesn't show the ABC(tick) sign, and it doesn't appear in the Tools->Extension Manager, so it's not installed, but it keeps showing up in the language menu bar mentioned (down below).

I've read that it was a Calc issue on Mac OSX, since on that platform there is no [none] language option, but I'm on Windows 7 and it didn't happen before. Also, the [none] option does appear in the menu bar. So, is there any way to get rid of Afrikaans option in the language menu bar?

Thanks for your time.

Actualization: After a couple of reboots, and after installing English dictionaries, Afrikaans is not an option in the language selection. It wasn't a big problem anyway, but thanks for your help!
Last edited by eequiis on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
In every equation
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7 SP1
Hagar Delest

Re: I can select Afrikaans but it's not installed

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See if that helps: [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: I can select Afrikaans but it's not installed

Post by Villeroy »

There is no artificial intelligence in this software. How should this software detect in which language some text is written if not even humans can identify every language? When you mark some text as "Afrikaans", software can apply the right linguistic tools for this language. It does not need to be your software and it does not have to OpenOffice. In the end we write text for others, don't we?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice