Extensions

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
AlaricWood

Extensions

Post by AlaricWood »

I run OpenOffice on Debian Linux. Every time I start in the morning an update extensions symbol appears on screen. Clicking on it brings up, (after a bit of fiddling around) the dictionary extension. If I download it I am told it is already installed. If i cancel the update icon re-appears. If I install it the icon goes for a time but re-appears later. I have used Open Office for about twenty years. In general I prefer it to Libre Office. The Libre help file is, to put it bluntly, useless and at times I do need to get help in a new situation. How do I get rid of the warning?
Mandriva Linux version 1010.0. Mandriva's version of OOO 3.1.1 I have also downloaded and installed the next version ?3.2? with the same results
RoryOF

Re: Extensions

Post by RoryOF »

I think, if you look carefully, you are being told that 2016.0x.01 is installed (where x is a month number) and you are now going to install version 2016.09.01 (or the current version); once you install the later version the message should not appear for another month, until the next update of the English dictionary extension.

If you close the computer too hastily after closing OpenOffice, you might interrupt OO's internal housekeeping; such interruption can cause spellchecking to fail, or in more extreme circumstances corrupt the user profile and require you to re-enter your name and initials. It is best to shut down the computer using the formal shutdown process and wait a few seconds after all OK messages to be certain hardware and software write buffers have flushed to disk.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
AlaricWood

Re: Extensions

Post by AlaricWood »

I have looked extremely carefully. Clicking the update icon brings up a reply that the site doesn't exist. Cancelling that brings up the extension. downloading the extension brings up the dialogue I have mentioned. If I over ride it and install anyway the icon goes away for a short period and then comes back. I am re-installing the latest version and a newer one won't appear within minutes. It isn't really important. I can ignore it. It just irritates me.
Mandriva Linux version 1010.0. Mandriva's version of OOO 3.1.1 I have also downloaded and installed the next version ?3.2? with the same results