EasyDev - risky to install?

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
Albireo

EasyDev - risky to install?

Post by Albireo »

Hi! I found an extension, as called EasyDev. EasyDev can help you to develop macros in LibreOffice / OpenOffice.

More information is possible to find on this page .: EasyDev for Libre-/OpenOffice
(But no one is responsible for codes and solutions presented on the page, or other support around the code)

Is there a great risk that Macros that are linked to this extension, may stop working after upgrades to later versions of Libre-/OpenOffice?
Is it risky to build features on extensions?
(It works today, but will not work tomorrow - depending on who has created and maintaining the OpenOffice extensions)

If you wish to use the functions that this extension adds. Is the only way to write macros with this exstention, to use Basic, in eg Calc.?

Is it possible to use VBA / Python / AutoHotkey or other external language to use the features available in EasyDev?

My desire is to create various documents (mainly in Calc) that gives the recipient the opportunity to influence the content and create other new results.
EasyDev have many functions, I don't know how to solve on other ways.

//Jan
OOo 4.1.X on Windows XP, Win7, 10
RusselB

Re: EasyDev - risky to install?

Post by RusselB »

We have nothing to do with EasyDev development or support.
Personally I won't use a macro unless I understand just what happens when in the code.

A search of the forum for the term EasyDev returned a list of only 25 other posts.

There is always a possibility of macros/add-ons not working when a main program is updated.

Without knowing just what you are wanting to do in Calc there's no way for is to make suggestions that might not require macros.

If you wish to try EasyDev, I recommend that you do so with caution.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

EasyDev is the work of one of the administrators on the Spanish forum. There is a substantial thread here in Spanish. It is important to note that it is written for Python 3 and therefore cannot be relied on to work with OpenOffice's Python 2.7. That in itself may be enough to answer your question.

Any code you write creates the risk that it will not be compatible with future versions of the program. Relying on an extension creates a larger risk because the extension author is more likely to make decisions without taking into account a broad range of users. But the core behavior of the program may change on any release and particularly on major releases.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Albireo

Post by Albireo »

Thanks for the advice,
I had a feeling, that I should be a little careful with any extensions.
OOo 4.1.X on Windows XP, Win7, 10
Jurassic Pork

Post by Jurassic Pork »

hello,
FJCC wrote: It is important to note that it is written for Python 3 and therefore cannot be relied on to work with OpenOffice's Python 2.7.
the last version of Easydev ( here) can be installed with A.O.O 4.1.3. May be there are few functions not working because Python 2 in A.O.O . I have made a demo calc ods file with macros using some functions of this extension (in attachment of this message). I have tried it with L.O 5.2.7.2 , A.O.O 4.1.3 under windows 7 , L.O 5.4.2.2 under Ubuntu 16.04. Some macros must be launched by exec the macro.
EasyDev.gif
EasyDev.gif (98.13 KiB) Viewed 8623 times

The documentation in english of this extension is here

Friendly, J.P
OpenOffice 4.1.14 , LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Windows 11/ LibreOffice 7.3.7 on Lubuntu 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

"Easydev" is useless. Forget about it.
You can use languages other than StarBasic.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
einstein

Post by einstein »

reading this topic and others more I have a question for the moderators why do you allow Villeroy to say so much crap?
Is he the owner of the forum?
lo 5.1.6.2 | aoo 4.1.3 | win 7/10
All I know is that I know nothing
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

He is as entitled to his opinions as are you and all other posters entitled to yours; if you don't like his thoughts you need not read them.

Villeroy's views on old fashioned procedural languages are well known; I regard them as a loveable eccentricity. We set his dislike of them against his undoubted assistance on many areas to users, both new and established.

Dislike of procedural languages goes wa-a-a-y back: Edsger W. Dijkstra observed in Selected Writings on Computing: A Personal Perspective (1982) that “It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.” He had been moving in that direction since 1965. I learned to program in 1965 (Fortran II) so am probably irreparably brain-damaged! i can still think in Z80 machine code.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
einstein

Post by einstein »

reading this topic and others more

writing as villeroy accustoms, can I say?
why let him say so much shit?
Is it right?
or the rudeness is only allowed to him?

my point is as follows:
I agree that Villeroy may offend others but
You should be allowed to others to respond in the same way.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

@Albireo
"Easydev" is a collection of some 100 wrapper routines which make 100 things a little bit easier to accomplish. But 10,000 tasks remain uncovered and some of these wrappers are over-simplified. Whenever you need any of the remaining 10,000 you have to dive into the guts of this awkward API anyway. I think you are better off if you enjoy the full flavour of it right from the start. The code you are going to write with Easydev will depend on that package and possibly it will depend on a distinct version of Easydev with a distinct version of LibreOffice or OpenOffice. It adds more dependencies without adding much benefit.

Easydev can be very useful if you take some time to study its source code, particularly the part that is written in Python and implements service org.universolibre.EasyDev
If the source code makes no sense to you and neither my remarks on wrappers and dependencies, Easydev won't help you anyway.
If all this makes sense to you, you don't need Easydev.

By no means, there is any risk in installing Easydev. It does not modify your system or your office suite in any way. It just offers some additional "plugs" to macro programmers.
Last edited by Villeroy on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

einstein wrote:[
my point is as follows:
I agree that Villeroy may offend others but
You should be allowed to others to respond in the same way.
Have you been hindered in your choice of words or of the expression of your sentiments?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
einstein

Post by einstein »

RoryOF, No not for the moment.
It is all, now I know I can respond in the same way, that is correct for me
Thanks.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

OFF:

Jurassic Pork,

How you created that small sized animated gif picture above? It is very useful tool to demonstrate the implemented ACTIONS for the Forum users...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Jurassic Pork

Post by Jurassic Pork »

hello,
Zizi64 wrote:OFF:

Jurassic Pork,

How you created that small sized animated gif picture above? It is very useful tool to demonstrate the implemented ACTIONS for the Forum users...
OFF for Zizi64 : with LiceCap a free software easy to use (windows & OSX).

Friendly, J.P
OpenOffice 4.1.14 , LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Windows 11/ LibreOffice 7.3.7 on Lubuntu 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

OFF for Zizi64 : with LiceCap a free software easy to use (windows & OSX).
Thanks!
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.