Using Extensions

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
swiftrabbit

Using Extensions

Post by swiftrabbit »

I have installed the extension 'Readability". It says it is installed and enabled on my computer. But I can't find how to use it. There is no icon to click on or a drop down menu that I can choose it from. Where is the darn thing?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Using Extensions

Post by RoryOF »

Readbility wrote:After installation, a tool bar will appear with 4 buttons for 'Readability Report', 'Brain Overload Report', 'Cohesion Report' and 'Detailed Report'. If it is not there, select View from the menu bar, then Toolbars and 'Add-On 1'. Version 2 requires around 1GB of memory, if you don't have that try the earlier version which doesn't include the Brain Overload and Coherence reports and is run by selecting 'Readability' from the menu bar. N.B. The 'Detailed Report' is displayed as a spreadsheet in 'Calc' and will not work unless 'Calc' is installed. If you see the error: (com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException){{ Message = "[jni_unobridge error ], then go to Menu -> Tools -> Options -> Java and check the detected Java Runtime Environment as it is not always enabled by default. - See more at: http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pro ... 5kpPj.dpuf
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
swiftrabbit

Post by swiftrabbit »

The toolbar does not have add-on 1 as an option. I have plenty of memory, but I installed the earlier version anyway but still can't find it. Calc is installed and the correct box is checked off in my Java. I am not getting any error messages. It's just anywhere!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The readability extension was designed for OO 3 versions. There does not seem to be a version for OOv4 and the little feedback indicator on the right of the download page indicates 100% not compatible with OO4. It may be possible to address the macros of the extension directly; if you want it, you should investigate that.
swiftrabbit

Post by swiftrabbit »

Thank you for your help and prompt response. I didn't realize about the compatibility icon. I'll investigate further.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is a thread here
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74272&p=336032&hil ... ty#p336032
on getting Readbility to run on OO v4.
swiftrabbit

Post by swiftrabbit »

Wow! Thanks. But that is just WAY over my head! I am not very skilled with tech. I'm lucky to just hunt and peck through my day with no major blunders!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you search you might find an online readibility application.
swiftrabbit

Post by swiftrabbit »

I'm trying uninstalling version 4 and installing version 3 instead. It's the readability function that I need the most, so maybe that will work. Fingers crossed:)
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

swiftrabbit wrote:The toolbar does not have add-on 1 as an option.
That’s because for some reason AOO developers decided to disable the capability of adding custom toolbars. I really don’t understand why, but face the reality: tons of good extensions from OOo 3.x won’t work under AOO 4.x. As RoryOF advises, try directly calling the extension macro(s), assign shortcuts as necessary.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

esperantisto wrote:
swiftrabbit wrote:The toolbar does not have add-on 1 as an option.
That’s because for some reason AOO developers decided to disable the capability of adding custom toolbars.
Not at all.
The AOO developer simply decided to introduce an incompatible change in the configuration files. It is still possible to create an AOO 4.x extension that adds its own toolbar. The difference is in some xcu files in the extension package.
The latest versions of extension packagers BasicAddonBuilder and Extension Compiler can produce such extensions.

Consequently an application developer must create two different packages of his extension : one for OOo/AOO before 4.0 and another for 4.x; or give up with older OpenOffice versions.

Note that, apart from the toolbar that will not be displayed, old extensions are still usable. Most extensions add menu commands that can still be used. An extension without toolbar remains compatible.
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Thank you for the clarification. I tried creating an extension with a custom toolbar using BasicAddonBuilder without success. I’ll try Extension Compiler (it’s your work as I understand).
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)