A "Garden Plants" Base add-on

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
papijo

A "Garden Plants" Base add-on

Post by papijo »

Hi all,

It is my pleasure to invite you to browse my first AOO/LO base add-on.
The beta version can be downloaded here: http://rezeau.info/public/gardenplants.zip

Description
The gardenplants application is an add-on to be used with Apache OpenOffice (AOO) or LibreOffice (LO) . It is aimed at enthusiast gardeners who wish to maintain a database of the plants in their garden, organized according to standard botanical principles.
No knowledge of the inner workings of AOO/LO base component is required, as a user-friendly interface is provided.
The gardenplants application consists of a main document with two forms for entering and browsing the database records. On the Edit Plants form/page, gardeners can enter detailed general information about the plants they have (or plan to have) in their garden. Such information can easily be found in horticultural manuals or on gardening websites.
On the Edit Specimens form/page, gardeners can enter specific information about those plant specimens that are actually planted in their own garden. Easy navigation is provided between the two forms.

Technical details
  • * Uses a split database with HyperSQL DataBase driver, version 2.3.2.
    * Shipped with the original *.odb base document, complete with unprotected macros.
    * 2 standalone forms documents for easy managing of the database.
    * Full instructions for installing and using the add-on: AOO/LO document with screen shots, about 20 pages.
    * Makes heavy use of macros for a better and safer user experience and user-friendly warning and error messages.
    * Includes a cascading feature for the Family > Genus > Species > Cultivar taxonomy feature.
I am heavily indebted to several active members of this forum who have kindly answered my questions over the past few months as I was striving to create this add-on. I hope those members (and others) will find the time to have a look at my gardenplants application and am looking forward to any bug report, improvement suggestions, etc.

Thanks in advance. ;)
LO: LibreOffice 6.4.0.3 (x64) on Windows 10 64bits. Split database HSQL 2.3.4.
IGraham

Re: A "Garden Plants" Base add-on

Post by IGraham »

Hello papijo

Have just downloaded your plants database, impressive.
Was considering making one myself and was looking for hints as to what to include, how to go about it. Yours is however better (beyond my abilities) and includes plant features i would not have included but which are better included as an option to use.
I haven't as yet tried to enter data as as good as your database is it does not include features i would like but because of my inferior skill set would be unable to include myself.
I did want to include information as to
  • where the plants were planted in the garden - reference to a grid system/map
    when and from whom they were purchased, price
    when planted/died
As I said I'm unable to implement these features myself but am wondering if you have developed the database further and possibly included 'extra' features
Or am i going to have to make an inferior database, if so thanks for giving your version, from which i'll take good ideas - even if I'll only ever be a lowly aspirant
LibreOffice 3.5.1.2 on W7 64x
papijo

Post by papijo »

Hi IGraham,
Thanks for your appreciation of my Garden plants db. I have now made a bilingual version (English-French) which I use for my own garden plants. This new version also has new features and some bug fixes. I might make it available if there is interest.
Re your suggestions for improvement. In the "Edit specimens" mode, there are indeed fields for plant location in the garden : Location and Plan reference and also Origin (where purchased/obtained, etc). Maybe the term used "origin" is ambiguous, as it might be thought to refer to the geographical provenance of the plant, but it is not ambiguous when you are in "Edit specimens" mode.
I had thought about a "price" field, but did not implement it. I agree it might be useful.
Again, the information about when plant died (or was removed from garden) would be useful. What I do at the moment is simply set the group quantity number to zero. And any detailed information as to what happened can be entered for that specimen in one of the 2 available text fields : Notes and Cultivation notes.

I hope this answers your questions. Please contact me by PM if you have further questions and if you would like to download a more current version.
IGraham

Post by IGraham »

I'll get back to you on this - haven't forgotten or gone away, just trying it out
LibreOffice 3.5.1.2 on W7 64x
Write!365

Post by Write!365 »

Thank you ever so much!!

This add-on is not "a nice to have" it's really "a need to have"!! :)

It's always exciting to upgrade knowledge (databases..) when it includes something you enjoy, as gardening.

So, now I'm digging in to something, for me, completely new. :)
Thanks!
Mac OS X Yosemite
OpenOffice 4.1.2
papijo

Post by papijo »

Hi Write!365 and thanks for your interest in my "gardenplants" DB.
I am still using it, but not currently maintaining it, as I have now moved my "virtual garden" on-line. You are welcome to visit it at http://garden.rezeau.org/
Joseph
papijo

Post by papijo »

I have made a new, all English, version of my gardenplants base add-on. It is available with detailed installation and use instructions at this address:
http://rezeau.org/public/gardenplants.zip.
Comments welcome!
steebe

Post by steebe »

PapiJo or to whom may come across this message,

I have the "gardenplants" DB installed using OpenOffice 4.1.7 and the summer checkbox under the 'seasons of interest' does not appear to be working. Is this by design or is their a bug?

Thanks, Steve
OpenOffice 4.1.7 Windows 7 Home
papijo

Post by papijo »

Hi steebe,
I'll have a look ASAP
papi Jo
papijo

Post by papijo »

Hi @steebe,
The current version of my "gardenplants" DB is only maintained and guaranteed to work on LibreOffice. Currently Version: 6.4.0.3 (x64). I do not test it on OpenOffice.
What exactly do you mean by "the summer checkbox under the 'seasons of interest' does not appear to be working". Can you be more specific?
steebe

Post by steebe »

papijo wrote:Hi @steebe,
The current version of my "gardenplants" DB is only maintained and guaranteed to work on LibreOffice. Currently Version: 6.4.0.3 (x64). I do not test it on OpenOffice.
What exactly do you mean by "the summer checkbox under the 'seasons of interest' does not appear to be working". Can you be more specific?
When a new plant is input, the summer checkbox in the seasons of interest section doesn't allow the box to be checked but that was using OO, not LO. I'll download LO and try it again. A great DB at any rate.

Thank you kindly for the reply.

Steven
steebe

Post by steebe »

PapiJo
I've installed LO and the check box is working fine. For whatever reason, the other boxes will check just fine when when the mouse pointer hovers directly over the boxes. The Summer box it does not but when hovered over the word 'Summer', it works.
Thank you for your efforts with this DB.

Steven
naschol

Post by naschol »

I tried to go to last link provided, but nothing happened. Is this still available? I am very intrigued.

Seems like such a helpful tool for my second year of gardening after decades of not...
LibreOffice 6.3 on Windows 10
papijo

Post by papijo »

@naschol,
Sorry, but I have definitely given up development and maintenance of my Garden Plants add-on for Open Office/LibreOffice. I now maintain my plants database entirely on my online garden site at https://www.rezeau.org/wp-garden/en/
naschol

Post by naschol »

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll keep looking.
LibreOffice 6.3 on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

That's an awesome web design and even more awesome garden or vice versa. :super: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
papijo

Post by papijo »

Thanks for the kind words!