[Solved] Sun jre extension in base

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
jaleks

[Solved] Sun jre extension in base

Post by jaleks »

I have downloaded jre-6u6-linux-i586.bin. It is installed? in /usr. Permissions changed by chmod a+x.... Configuration done by ./(filename).
Read license agreement, saw done. All looked to go well. Went to OOo Tools, Extension Manager. There is no extension such as Sun... shown
under either My Extensions or OpenOffice Extensions. Have worked on this for about 3 hours now to no avail. I think it was a bad install of the Sun program. Is there a way to completely remove
the jre-6u6-linux-i586.bin so another attempt can be made? I have searched all over Sun for a way but did not find it if it is there.
Thanks for any help rendered.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: sun jre extension in base

Post by Villeroy »

The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is not an office extension. It enables your system to run programs written in the Java programming language. There are stand-alone programs written in Java, some are embedded in websites, there are quite a few office extensions written in Java and some built-in features of this office suite are written in Java.
So the combination of OOo and Java enables some more features in the office and enables the installation of particular add-ons written in Java.
There may be more than one version of Java installed on your computer and it may happen that OOo does not automatically detect an installed Java. Call menu:Tools>Options...OOo>Java... and make shure that the office detects and makes use of the latest availlable Java.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice