Using an added Extension

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
Unpackandtrack

Using an added Extension

Post by Unpackandtrack »

Help please, I have (I think) added an extension that should allow me to edit PDF files, my problem is how do I actually use/open the extension? and which office product should I use, writer, impress, draw??

As you can tell, this is all a bit new to me.

Thanks in advance for any help

:crazy:
OpenOffice 4.01 on windows 8.1
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Using an added Extension

Post by thomasjk »

If you have the PDF Import Extension installed you can do limited editing. Use File-->Open on the PDF file and it will open in Draw. If you need extensive editing capability then this will not work for you.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Unpackandtrack

Post by Unpackandtrack »

When I do file open, it opens in adobe pdf reader, not what I want, I was rather hoping to open it in openoffice somehow.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Unpackandtrack wrote:When I do file open, it opens in adobe pdf reader, not what I want, I was rather hoping to open it in openoffice somehow.
An why don't you open the file with OpenOffice?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Unpackandtrack wrote:When I do file open, it opens in adobe pdf reader, not what I want, I was rather hoping to open it in openoffice somehow.
As Villeroy said use Openoffice to do File-->Open That is what I referred to.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Unpackandtrack

Post by Unpackandtrack »

Just realised how you ment by file open, I normally go into the various modules and open, rather than the overall page. Did the bit, and pdf file could be selected, file tried to open and it hung openoffice. Tried on another computer ans it did the same, guess extension is not very good so have removed it. Thanks for help everyone.

For the record the extension was http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras. ... df-import/

and it claimed 'The PDF Import Extension allows you to import and modify PDF documents. Best results with 100% layout accuracy can be achieved with the "PDF/ODF hybrid file" format, which this extension also enables. A hybrid PDF/ODF file is a PDF file that contains an embedded ODF source file. Hybrid PDF/ODF files will be opened in OpenOffice.org as an ODF file without any layout changes.'
Last edited by Unpackandtrack on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The amount of editing you can do with it is very limited. If you need to restructure a PDF file, best to look for some other application.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Unpackandtrack

Post by Unpackandtrack »

yep, think simple thing would have been to pay adobe to use their software rather than try to get something for free, that free has cost me a day wasted!!
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Unpackandtrack wrote:yep, think simple thing would have been to pay adobe to use their software rather than try to get something for free, that free has cost me a day wasted!!
This is the year 2014 and you don't know how to open some file with the program you want? You encounter this "problem" for each and every file type when you have more than one program to handle this type of file. Do you always use one software for videos, one software for pictures , one text editor and one software for documents? And when you installed the Adobe suite you will remove the viewer?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Unpackandtrack

Post by Unpackandtrack »

I am terribly sorry that we are not all as clever as you Germans, us English are a tad thick!!

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to mark the post as closed, so hopefully a moderator can
mgroenescheij
Volunteer

Post by mgroenescheij »

Try http://www.foxitsoftware.com/ to do some basic editing it's free and better that adobe reader
AOO 4.1.5 on MS Windows 10 Professional & MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5
Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Habakkuk

Post by Habakkuk »

Okay - I'm having the same problem. I open the PDF file (in Draw). When I click on a text area, the entire page is selected as a "text box", which I can move. I basically need to fill in some text on a few lines - really quite minor editing. When I enter text characters they are in the upper left hand corner of the page. How do I get the cursor located where I want to add the text?
Open Office 4.0.1 - Windows 7
Habakkuk

Post by Habakkuk »

Actually, between writing the previous post and it being published I figured out the answer. Haven't got all the details worked out, but here is what I've found.
First - Open Office V. 4.0.1. Windows 7.
One needs to click on the "Select" arrow (lower left corner) then on "T" for Text. (Watch the font and size defaults - how do I reset them?) Found it somewhat tricky making sure the cursor would be located, but accomplished it somewhat with practice. One other question - is there a "whiteout" or "erase" capability? Haven't located such, anyway.
Open Office 4.0.1 - Windows 7