Kannada language typesetting

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
Anselm

Kannada language typesetting

Post by Anselm »

How does one type Kannada script using NUDI Direct? When I use scroll lock it is different Kannada script or word which is different from the keyboard configuration I have learnt to type with when using microsoft word.
Is there some other software I need to download to type in OOo3.3 to activate Kannada language font.
Thanks and regards
OpenOffice3.3 on Windows
RoryOF

Re: Kannada language typesetting

Post by RoryOF »

There is a .pdf document on using Kannada and Nudi on OpenOffice under Linux. This may have hints you can apply to your Windows installation, as the OpenOffice configuration is the same.
http://www.public-software.in/media/Kan ... ftware.pdf

I also found a link to an OpenOffice for Kannada; this is at
http://ellakavi.wordpress.com/2007/11/2 ... languages/
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Anselm

Post by Anselm »

Kannada Computing on GNULinux
(Ubuntu) and
OpenOffice.org
IT for Change, June 2010

The above PDF is informative, but when I was trying to get SCIM to be installed as per page 8 I am unable to begin step 1.

Page 8, tells me to follow instructions per Annexure 3:
I am unable to find out item 1. click on System - Administration - ...... Which system does it refer to and how do I get it.. so I can install and config SCIM. I was not able to find 'System' in OOo3. tool bar. Help!

Annexure 3: Installing and Configuring SCIM, Setting up OpenOffice.org.
Installing and Configuring SCIM
1. Click on System → Administration → Synaptic Package Manager (Note: You should have
Internet connection)
2. Enter the password and click OK, when asked for.
3. Click on the reload button.
4. Once the packages are downloaded, type scim in the quick search bar
5. Now, click on the square boxes and mark for installation the following package
1. scim
2. scim-bridge-agent
3. scim-bridge-client-gtk
4. scim-bridge-client-qt4
5. scim-m17n
6. scim-modules-table
6. Click on Apply.
7. Restart computer once done.

Thanks and Regards
Anselm
OpenOffice3.3 on Windows
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

SCIM is an application in Linux. I did point out that the first document was intended for Linux; it might offer hints suitable for Windows, but the working out of just what is needed is specific to your computer and your system-level abilities. Have a look at the link in my later (the second) url. This may give you a complete solution.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Post by Robert Tucker »

Nudi does not work on Open Office(on windows) and GNU/linux systems
http://bangalore.gnu.org.in/index.php/F ... udi_Issues
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
sukhdev

Post by sukhdev »

hi,
I have just downloaded and starting to use NUDI. I have some understanding of spoken Kannada. The software is excellent. And very well documented. When you say Microsoft Word and your typing Kannada, I understand you are using Microsoft Windows IME (set thru Regional and Language Options from Control Panel) This uses Unicode fonts that are not as rich in quality needed for Kannada. I am glad that Karnataka Govt. is sticking to using its own fonts. You'll have to get the standard ISCII key board layout - and put that Calc as template. to use. I also suggest that Click-N-Type - a configurable on screen key board be used for precision and matra needed. The best software for Windows is Baraha which has features for font conversion into Unicode whatever.

It is important to understand that there is no such thing as Kannada computing. "Roman letter transliteration" is the via media. Once you can transliteration text - The script and font makes no difference. And if you are dealing with phonetic scripts such as different Indian languages (Including Tamizh) there can always be "script over ride" from Kannada to Telugu.

I have just put a spreadsheet template "You Localize" at http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/node/8617
and explore the idea of translating all the kannada menus in NUDI 4.0 and knowing what it does as a teaching / learning tool. All the best.
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows XP