PDFImporter

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
Sarsnake

PDFImporter

Post by Sarsnake »

I just downloaded and installed OpenOffice for the sole purpose of converting my documents to PDF w/o losing image quality.

However, I can't seem to find the much advertised PDF import extension. When I open a pdf file, it opens in ASCII ...Does this extension exist or not? And if it does, where do I get it from - the links on openoffice.org are broken and lead nowhere.

thank you.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: PDFImporter

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See [Solved] I can't import PDF.
The site has some problem but if you reload the page it should do it. Else use the LibreOffice repository.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Sarsnake

Post by Sarsnake »

Hagar Delest wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum!

The site has some problem but if you reload the page it should do it. Else use the LibreOffice repository.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Thanks! I read the thread earlier, but didn't get the solution out of it.

First of all, when I open Draw and click on File->Open to open my PDF, it opens it inside the Writer(rather than Draw) in ASCII.
So I have 3 questions:
- can I insert images to the pdf? (because if I can't, I am not going to proceed)
- do I need to download the importer separately?
- if I do have to download the importer, where do I download it from? (LibreOffice repository...link?)
I reloaded the OO repository many times last night and always got a weird yahoo link broken page....

Thank you very much for your help.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you need to seriously edit PDF, look for another tool. OpenOffice is not intended for heavy editing of PDF files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Sarsnake

Post by Sarsnake »

RoryOF wrote:If you need to seriously edit PDF, look for another tool. OpenOffice is not intended for heavy editing of PDF files.
So I can not insert an image in?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try it and see! It may or may not work, but it is probably the wrong tool for the job.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Sarsnake

Post by Sarsnake »

RoryOF wrote:Try it and see! It may or may not work, but it is probably the wrong tool for the job.

Trying it seems to be a pretty big task considering that it's hard to find and there is no documentation available - all links on OO website are broken. I might just give up. All I need is to have decent quality images in PDF when I convert doc to pdf. This has been one hell of a task with all these tools and days of trial and error. I guess that's why Adobe charges what they do.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Usually, when you copy a picture from a PDF, you get the original picture (not necessarily the size shown on screen). So it is quicker IMHO to copy and paste the content in a new text file and then export it to PDF. The only drawback is that you've to remove the paragraph breaks at each end of line.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Sarsnake

Post by Sarsnake »

Hagar Delest wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum!

Decided to try LibreOffice, and it won't even install. Says to stop LibreOffice 3.4 and just exists installation. I guess you get what you pay for. I closed OO prior to this and I don't have any LibreOffice on my system; so I am not sure why it's complaining.

I rebooted PC and before opening any program, I again tried to install LibreOffice. Same thing. I am slightly bewildered as this is the only time I wasn't able to install ANY software ever.

I guess no PDF editing for me.
johnshilton

Post by johnshilton »

Is your problem still there? This importing issue is common with the OO pdf files. There has been a lot of stuff that you can do with the pdf in OO, but when it comes to the importing some files it gets hectic, you should try to sort it out, if not then there are other external solutions like adobe, classic or nitro that can easily do your task. And if you are already done with the solution, then kindly mark this post as solved so that people may not bother much.
Thanks!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7