[Solved] Extension installation

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
DeShock

[Solved] Extension installation

Post by DeShock »

I tried to install my first extension ever (Template Changer) and I am having some problems.

One problem is the installation instructions on the Extension web page refers to .oxt files. Template Changer zip file does not contain a .oxt file. There is a file called: addons.xcu. I selected that file in extension manager. I now see addons.xcu listed on the extensions.

I, also, get the "assign new..." menu option

BUT, clicking on it does nothing. I tried to contact the extension creator without response.

I guess I have two questions:
1. Extension installation: Should there be a .oxt OR do the install instruction need to be revised?
2. Template Changer: Any idea if this is an issue with the installation or the extension itself?

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by DeShock on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeShock
Windows XP SP3, OOo 3.0.1, FF3.1b3, TB3.0b2
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
acknak

Re: Extension installation

Post by acknak »

In the extension manager, remove what you already did.

Now click "Add" and point to the zip file. The .oxt file is actually just a specialized zip file; older extensions have not switched from the generic zip.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but you may want to install the extension under "My Extensions". If you install under "OOo Extensions", I believe those will be lost when you upgrade OOo.

Hmm, that's an interesting question.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DeShock

Re: Extension installation [RESOLVED]

Post by DeShock »

That did the trick. I installed under "my extensions" as I don't see how it will hurt.

Thank you sir.
DeShock
Windows XP SP3, OOo 3.0.1, FF3.1b3, TB3.0b2
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
hhp_211

Re: [Solved]- *Not for me* Extension installation

Post by hhp_211 »

I have this extension, I have saved a new template, it will apply it with the margins I have setup but
it WILL NOT apply the fonts I have selected and saved with my template.

I can open up a blank template and it pulls up the margins and fonts I have chosen.

Any thoughts on how to have it automatically apply my font changes too????

I do have the newest version openoffice 2.3.1,and I run XP Pro, and Template Changer 0.4.0.

acknak

Re: [Solved] Extension installation

Post by acknak »

The template is limited in what it can do in an update: the only action possible is to replace style definitions in the document with the definitions from the template.

If the document uses fonts that are applied through direct formatting, or through styles defined in the document but not in the template, then a template update cannot change that formatting.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to check for either of those situations. You can try selecting the text that does not change fonts according to the template and then Format > Default. That will remove all direct formatting, leaving only the format specified by the paragraph's style--hopefully from the template.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jclaiborn

Re: [Solved] Extension installation

Post by jclaiborn »

I just downloaded this extension. I now have assign new on the file menu under templates and also have it on the tool bar. When I click it, I get a dialog box to choose a template that is empty. If I try to redirect it I can't locate the file that does contain templates. Any advice appreciated.

If it matters I have a PC running Windows XP