[Solved] Sun Report Builder and Memory Usage

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
ocotillo

[Solved] Sun Report Builder and Memory Usage

Post by ocotillo »

I have build a report with Sun Reportbuilder that does a fair number of calculations and totalling by groups. This worked great until I got up into a few hundred rows of data in the table. now the report crashes with an 'out of memory' error. I've tried increasing memory under Tools>Options>Openoffice.org>Memory to large numbers like 100MB per object, 100 objects.. However no matter what I do I can see in the Windows task manager that the application never uses more than 150MB of ram, even though their is plenty more available. This was the same amount used as when I had the memory usage settings to 20MB per object and 20 objects.

Is there any way to configure OpenOffice to use more memory? My actual data will be about 3 times this and so I really need the application to use more memory!

I am on Windows XP, OpenOffice 3.1.1, Sun Report Builder 1.1, with an embedded HSQL Database.

Thanks!
Last edited by ocotillo on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
r4zoli
Volunteer

Re: Sun Reportbuilder and Memory Usage

Post by r4zoli »

now the report crashes with an 'out of memory' error
What is your full error message.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
ocotillo

Post by ocotillo »

There was not much more. I get a popup saying the report could not be built when I select more I see a few levels of information:

SQL S1000: out of memory
out of memory

Is there a way to increase the amount of memory the application will use?
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

I never met such problem, only guessing.
Your problem not in OOo settings, more in your Java heap settings.

Possible solution (never tried), increase Java heap size, depending on your physical memory size.
This will set as 1GB:
Tools>Options>OpenOffice.org>Java>Parameters...>Java start parameter, add:

Code: Select all

-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m
Click to assign.
If it not help use greater values as 1536 or 2048, if you have enough physical memory.

Please give a feedback on it.

Edit: added m
Last edited by r4zoli on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
ocotillo

Post by ocotillo »

Thank you so much! This worked like a charm and I didn't have to add so much! One minor tweak is that I had to add each parameter separately:
-Xms256m
-Xmx256m

Note I did not have to use 1024. I'm not sure if I needed the 'm' but found it in a java post. For anybody else with this problem I read that the default parameters in the JRE are: -Xms32m -Xmx128m

Thanks again!
Urza

Re: [Solved] Sun Report Builder and Memory Usage

Post by Urza »

I have a very similar problem, with the same error code. After I try this fix i still get the same error message. Does this perhaps have something to do with the fact that I after I add the suggested Java start parameters and restart openoffice.org, the Java start parameters window doesn't show me as having any assigned parameters?
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows 7 64bit
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

What do you see when you open the java parameters dialog? Are your parameters mentioned in the 'Assigned start parameters' section?
Java memory defaults have come up recently. You might try 512 iso 256 and see it that works. I run with only -Xmx512m as parameter.You do not need to set the -Xms option.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
Urza

Post by Urza »

Thanks, it was willing to accept -Xmx256m. It wouldn't accept -Xmx512m though, for I would guess the same reason it refused to accept the other large amounts mentioned in this thread.
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows 7 64bit