Where is JRE?

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
thafner

Where is JRE?

Post by thafner »

Hi Folks,

I'm new to Open Office. Installed 4.1.1 just recently.

Having fun with spreadsheets. Making some macros. Ran into difficulty in the Tools|Customize dialog box where it says "OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart OpenOffice."

So I downloaded jre-7-windows-x64.exe from Oracle's site and ran it. Java reported to me that it was installed properly. Closed everything, restarted PC, restarted OO. Same error in Tools|Customize.

Searched around, turns out you have to actually tell OO that you have JRE installed. (Seems funny and not very friendly, but whatever.) So I go to Tools|Options, select OpenOffice, select Java, and then hit the "Add..." button. Most natural paths to provide are

c:\program files\java
c:\program files\java\jre7
c:\program files\java\jre7\bin
c:\program files\java\jre7\lib

None of these work. Neither do a whole host of subfolders. Can't find JRE elsewhere. So where the **** is my JRE?

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Thanks,
--Tom.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7 Pro Service Pack 1 64 bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Where is JRE?

Post by Villeroy »

Troubleshooting OpenOffice and Java
c:\program files (x86)\java\jre7
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
thafner

Post by thafner »

My PC is 64 bit. My Java install file is 64 bit. Not surprisingly, there is no java folder in c:\program files (x86).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You did not follow the link.
OpenOffice is 32 bit and any Java component of OpenOffice needs to be run by a 32 bit Java engine.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
thafner

Post by thafner »

Alright, this whole thing is absurd. Should not be this hard!

Following the link you guys provided (viewtopic.php?f=74&t=69896), I downloaded "jre-7u67-windows-x64.exe" and ran it. The link then says "you need to find the download button for version 7 of the JRE". The closest thing I could find comes about a third of the way down under Java SE 7u67, where there's a JRE download button. But this leads to a page where I can download the same file (jre-7u67-windows-x64.exe) I already have and ran.

So now I run Open Office, hit Tools, Options, and attempt to add Java. But I still get "The folder you selected does not contain a Java runtime environment. Please select a different folder."

Just to be clear, in Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features, I have installed "Java 7 Update 67 (64-bit)" by Oracle. Does this NOT include my JRE? And if it does include it, then where is my JRE?!

Thanks,
--Tom.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

thafner wrote:... I downloaded "jre-7u67-windows-x64.exe"...
You should have also downloaded and installed "jre-7u67-windows-i586.exe". That's the 32-bit version which is required by AOO.
thafner wrote:Just to be clear, in Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features, I have installed "Java 7 Update 67 (64-bit)" by Oracle. Does this NOT include my JRE? And if it does include it, then where is my JRE?!
You haven't installed the 32-bit JRE. The control panel should show "Java 7 Update 67" and "Java 7 Update 67 (64-bit)" which are the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions. AOO will find the 32-bit version after you're installed it.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
pontwasser

Post by pontwasser »

Hi

I am sorry, but I have failed to install a JRE. I have tried following the advice given and think I have installed both 32 bit and 64 bit JRE in my programs folder. But each time it tells me there is no JRE in any folder I have pointed it to. This has been 3 hours of frustration. No doubt I am failing to follow the advice. However, Jav website now seems to be offering 7U71-Windows-i586. Presumably I do not have to open the folders (They contain .bin and .lib)
Thanks in desperation.
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 7 (64 bit)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you rebooted your computer since the install(s)?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
pontwasser

Post by pontwasser »

Yes, I have rebooted. No joy. Still tells me no JRE found. But thanks for the suggestion and your support.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think - not certain about it, as I don't use Windows any more - that there should be an applet in the Control Panel that tells about Java. Does it show up? If so, what does it say?
pontwasser

Post by pontwasser »

Java applet icon does appear in Control Panel. But, when clicked upon says "application not found" But I have downloaded and installed several JRE and they are all showing in either Program Files or Program Files (x86) ?
Again, I thank you for your interest and help.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the Control Panel Applet is not showing them then something is wrong. If you go to
http://www.java.com
and click on the
"Do I have Java" link.

What does it tell you?
Attachments
Java.png
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

Here is the link to the english offline Java installer: (currently v1.8_25) Java v 1.7 is no longer updated.
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

jre-8u25-windows-i586.exe is the 32bit version needed by AOO/LO

jre-8u25-windows-x64.exe is the 64bit version

On a 64bit OS you can install both the i586 and the x64 version alongside one another
without any detriment.

Hope this helps.

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@Greengiant224: he says he has Java installed and can see Java directories, but his computer doesn't seem to know about them.
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

Sorry, didn't see that.

Looks like a corrupted install file! ! !
Perhaps an uninstall all versions, reboot then re-install might fix the problem.
Never had this trouble with Java myself, always been straightforward.

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm coming towards that, but I'd like to see what the Java site thinks is installed on his computer.
vaiven

Post by vaiven »

I came here google how to fix the Java JRE problem, I manage to solve it with this guide on how to solve java 8 is missing on ubuntu 16.04
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 16.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

vaiven wrote:I came here google how to fix the Java JRE problem, I manage to solve it with this guide on how to solve java 8 is missing on ubuntu 16.04
The JRE which is already installed on every Ubuntu system works just fine with all versions of OpenOffice and LibreOffice. My Open JDK reports version 1.8.0_111 which is the same version number as the Oracle stuff.

I would not add any software repository from an obscure "webupd8team".
vaiven

Post by vaiven »

Villeroy wrote:
vaiven wrote:I came here google how to fix the Java JRE problem, I manage to solve it with this guide on how to solve java 8 is missing on ubuntu 16.04
The JRE which is already installed on every Ubuntu system works just fine with all versions of OpenOffice and LibreOffice. My Open JDK reports version 1.8.0_111 which is the same version number as the Oracle stuff.

I would not add any software repository from an obscure "webupd8team".

I'm sorry but if you say that webupd8team is obscure, that's totally ignorance.
Webupd8 is quite a trusted site. They provide proper well made stable packages.

Good luck
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 16.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We can only answer from our own experience and knowledge.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Anyway. The regular Ubuntu jre works just fine with the office suite. I don't know the other package source so it would be a bad idea to use it just because somebody else tells me that it solves some problem with LibreOffice I have never heard of.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This thread is about a problem on Windows 7. I don't think the Ubuntu solution would work on Windows 7.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04