[Solved] Open CSV and save to XLSX in OO 3.4

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Open CSV and save to XLSX in OO 3.4

Post by Villeroy »

As a matter of fact, software that is able to write OOXML does exist. Nothing forces you to use OpenOffice which (for very good reasons) does not write OOXML for now. If you have nothing to say and nothing to contribute to this project, piss off and leave us alone.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
pitonyak
Volunteer

Post by pitonyak »

rhersom wrote:I'm not able to save a 106,000 row spreadsheet in XSLX format using )) 3.4. I open a CSV successfully but the "Calc MS Excel 2007 XML" option is not available and I get a Write Error trying to save to "MS Excel 2003 XML". The end goal is saving to the XSLX under program control, but I don't expect to get there if I can't do it through the menu. Is there an installable add-on that adds the "Calc MS Excel 2007 XML" opion to OO 3.4?
LibreOffice is able to read and write this format. Note that these are very similar products (they used to be the same product)

If you have overly complicated formatting, some things will not be read or written correctly, but, for your uses, it would likely be fine. If you want to use the full scope of the format, you are safer with MS products. When I create a very complicated document, I usually use the product that best supports the target format unless I know that the formatting will be in a format that is well supported in the product that I prefer to use.
Andrew Pitonyak
http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php
LO and AOO on Fedora
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The latest version of MS Excel can read ODF.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
anyname

Post by anyname »

I just uninstalled OpenOffice and installed LibreOffice. I then proceeded to save an XLSX file with ease.

Thank you LibreOffice.
OpenOffice 3.none on OS X 10.11
Bonsai

Post by Bonsai »

Guys ..... I registered to forum to tell you my opinion on this particular topic .....

I found this post, becasue right now I have the problem, that I need to send a spreadsheet to one or our wholesaler in xmlx, as their mailserver just DELETES all xls.

So I MUST send xlsx!!!! There's absolutely no way to get the data to this company in any other format!

So stop shouting, please! The requirement is not an optional thing to get this excellent software more popular, it is a MUST HAVE. To reject this requirement is ignorant!

I already would have killed all MS Office installation in my company, but becasue such incompatibilites it is not possible.

BTW: Becasue the lot of shouting if have now to read a lot of uninterresting waste to find out why this topic is marked "solved". As english is not my mother language it wastes my time ....
ApacheOpenoffice 4.1.0 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice does not, repeat _NOT_ , support xlsx format. If you must have that, try LibreOffice, but be aware that there may be problems in compatibility. If I were sending spreadsheets, which might contain sensitive financial information, I'd use a program for which the format was a native format.

When it comes to "wasting time" (your phrase) there is a lot of it about!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Bonsai wrote: So I MUST send xlsx!!!! There's absolutely no way to get the data to this company in any other format!
Nothing stops you from sending xlsx. Just use some appropriate software other than Apache OpenOffice which does not write this file format for very good reasons.