Without running OpenOffice instance, use AOO API in JAVA

Java, C++, C#, Delphi... - Using the UNO bridges
sharsha

Without running OpenOffice instance, use AOO API in JAVA

Post by sharsha »

I am using open office 4 in my java application using bootstrapconnector.jar. But BootstrapSocketConnector.bootstrap(oooExeFolder), compusorily start a open office running instance in background.
Can we use open office api without running open office instance in background.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Without running OpenOffice instance, use AOO API in JAVA

Post by Zizi64 »

Can we use open office api without running open office instance in background.
The functions of the AOO/LO API are for controlling the office applications, and/or the documents. What you want to achieve by the API functions without one of the applications, or without any document?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
sharsha

Post by sharsha »

please check out this link : https://dzone.com/articles/integrate-openoffice-java it says if we use ODF Toolkit api, we will need not to install open office for creating open office documents like PDFs ..But for this we need to explore ODF Toolkit api. I just wished if OpenOffice.org API/Open office UNO api can provide the same facility of exporting PDFs without instantiating open office then it will be great.As I have already explored open office UNO api.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice
grinder22

Post by grinder22 »

I am using CLI (.Net) rather than java. But most of the functionality seems to be the same.

I am using a call like this - XComponentContext xContext = uno.util.Bootstrap.bootstrap();

Provided the JAVA interface has the same thing, as long as Open Office and the SDK are installed, this should kick off an soffice process for you, rather than needing to start one yourself. I implement a disposable extension that kills the process after I'm done with it.

For what it's worth, I'm starting to lean toward leaving a background soffice service running instead. I think it will be more stable in the long run.
OpenOffice SDK 4.1.2
OpenOffice CLI
Window 10