Multi page mail merge

Java, C++, C#, Delphi... - Using the UNO bridges
g-loc

Multi page mail merge

Post by g-loc »

Hi all,
I'm trying to do a mail merge from a csv file using Writer: all works fine but I have a problem: every record in the datasource generates a different document, but I need to generate a single document with multiple record merges in the same page.
How can I configure this?

thanks,
Luca
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows Xp
acknak

Re: multi page mail merge

Post by acknak »

This is possible but you have to manage the data fields yourself. That is, you have to insert enough data fields and next record fields in the merge document to consume all the records.

Then you can use the "Data to Fields" button to merge the data.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: multi page mail merge

Post by Villeroy »

This is what a database report does. Database reports are Writer documents that are embedded in the "database document". The Writer documents contain tables that are dynamically linked to database tables/queries.
With the extension "Oracle Report Builder" you can create more sophisticated Writer reports (vertical layout, block layout, charts, picture data, calculated fields, ).

Personally, I prefer Calc as report engine. It has enough layout and formatting capabilities while linking arbitrary record sets anywhere on the spreadsheet grid.
acknak wrote:This is possible but you have to manage the data fields yourself. That is, you have to insert enough data fields and next record fields in the merge document to consume all the records.
Insert>Fields>Other>Database: "Next Record"
Conditional fields (Dear <SIr/Mam>) can be found on the Functions tab.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice