ActiveX Cannot Create Object

Java, C++, C#, Delphi... - Using the UNO bridges
Brockleigh

ActiveX Cannot Create Object

Post by Brockleigh »

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to run a program on a new computer that worked just fine on an old computer.

The program is Maximum Football 2.0. It is heavily dependant on utilizing databases built with Access97.

My old PC died (an HP that was running XP) and when purchasing the new computer, I made sure the computer exceeded the recommended specs for this program. The new computer is running Vista 32-bit Home Premium. It came with a trail version of MS Office, but I was running Open Office on the HP and was very happy with it. The game worked just fine with Open Office on the old HP. The developer also certifies the program will work properly without issue on Vista.

I can get the program to install properly on the new Acer, however when I click on the icon to start the program, I get a pop up with the header "DB Engine" that says "Active X component cannot create object." Then a second pop-up that says "Couldn't open database". The program then terminates.

The development forum shows instructions on how to be able to edit the Access databases using Open Office. I have followed those procedures, however this hasn't fixed my issue.

I have contacted the developer, the publisher and some user forums and while they were initially helpful in attempting to assist, they have stopped responding to my queries.

I'm dying to get this to work. Any help will be appreciated.
Open Office v3.1.1
Windows Vista Home Premium
RoryOF

Re: ActiveX Cannot Create Object

Post by RoryOF »

A wild guess: you need to ensure that you have rights to create, read and write a file in the required directories. There have been many postings about Vista problems - most people I know with Vista junked it and reverted to XP SP2.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Brockleigh

Post by Brockleigh »

After seven months of dealing with this problem, I'll even take wild guesses at this point. =o)

Okay, so assume I'm a total noob. How would I go about enabling these permissions?
Open Office v3.1.1
Windows Vista Home Premium
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My experience of Vista is non existent - I got it on two computers and junked it immediately because of reliable advice from those who had suffered from it. So I cannot help from my own knowledge.

I Googled and found the following
http://www.tipandtrick.net/2008/how-to- ... -in-vista/
which seems to be reasonably comprehensive.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
hanyacottman

Post by hanyacottman »

An error about ActiveX objects that was caused by an improperly registered DAO can be resolved by clicking Start and Run, and then typing regsvr32 and the path to your DAO file. If it was caused by one or more missing references, you have to open the database, press ALT + F11, click References on the Tools menu, and examine the list of libraries. If there are items that are marked as missing, locate the library file and re-associate the reference. On the other hand, if it is caused by an invalid utility database reference, open the database, press ALT + F11, click References on the Tools menu, and clear the checkbox beside any reference to Utility Database.
Behaved women rarely make history
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista