What is the status of python uno...?

Java, C++, C#, Delphi... - Using the UNO bridges
nickb

What is the status of python uno...?

Post by nickb »

I have been developing stuff on Linux(Ubuntu) using a mix of Gtk Python etc
and nicely interfacing to OO using uno. All lovely and impressive - thanks all.
A GUI application that launches and manipulates OO stuff as the user requires.

However, I am aiming for a Linux and win32 compatible solution and the Python/Gtk stuff is good.

However the python with OO currently appears to be Python2.3.
Python2.3 is not even supported on Ubuntu now so this presents a major obstacle to serious development.

I noted a question from someone last September who was trying to work with Python2.4 and was blocked by this problem - but their question has not received any reply. I would like Python2.6 !!!

So is python with OO alive or dead ?

The potential is fantasitic and other stuff is coming along wonderfully - I hope this area is too.

regards

Nick/Oxford
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Linux
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: what is the status of python uno...?

Post by Villeroy »

Seemingly pyuno is dead due to the lack of capable external developers. But Python 2.3 is still much better than Basic'93 :P

http://udk.openoffice.org/python/python-bridge.html#faq
#
I already have python installed on my system, why does the office ship another python ?

Python itself is shipped with OpenOffice.org, because

* python must have been compiled with the same C++ compiler as the office itself on all platforms that use the gcc compiler (e.g. Linux, BSD, etc.).
* On most Unix platforms, no python shared libraries are available by default (though some distributions do so). This would have meant, that python UNO components cannot be executed within the office process.
* Python component developers need a guaranteed minimum platform which they can rely on.
* Recognition of a python runtime at the installation system would have been an extremely difficult and time consuming task becausemany different python installation schemes exist.
* Packagers of OpenOffice.org will create their own packages, for example redhat or debian, without Python. The standard distribution must run on low end systems.

#
Can I use system's python installation ?
See here.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice