REPORT - textbox - control - data - datafield (greyed out)

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
cirruss_design

REPORT - textbox - control - data - datafield (greyed out)

Post by cirruss_design »

Hello

When trying to add an element to my report to contain a function/formula to run at runtime in either a 'textbox' or 'formatted field':

ADD TEXTBOX or FORMATTED FIELD to report in design view:

Right click on the object - control - data - datafield (greyed out)

using for a GCSE exam and students are unable to add runtime formulas as requested in exam papers so this is really urgent i can find a work around!!! :shock:

Let me know if there is further info which needs adding, i have spent hours trying to find a work around!
MACOS Sierra 10.12.6

OPEN OFFICE - 4.1.5
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: REPORT - textbox - control - data - datafield (greyed ou

Post by UnklDonald418 »

It sounds like your control has no data source.
Right click on your control and first select Form. On the Data tab of the Form Properties dialog choose Content type and Content. Then you should be able to select a Data field in the control properties dialog,
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
cirruss_design

Post by cirruss_design »

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 17.53.06.png
MACOS Sierra 10.12.6

OPEN OFFICE - 4.1.5
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

That's the Properties: Formatted Field dialog, what you need to check first is the Properties: Form dialog so that there is a data source before you can choose a Data Field
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

After re-reading your goal
When trying to add an element to my report to contain a function/formula to run at runtime in either a 'textbox' or 'formatted field':
I don't think you can achieve that with the report writer built into Open Office. The Oracle Report Builder extension has far more capabilities, including functions
https://extensions.openoffice.org/project/reportdesign
cirruss_design

Post by cirruss_design »

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 08.27.24.png
Thanks for the replies both. I have screen shotted an example here to see what they are required to do:
MACOS Sierra 10.12.6

OPEN OFFICE - 4.1.5
cirruss_design

Post by cirruss_design »

UnklDonald418 wrote:That's the Properties: Formatted Field dialog, what you need to check first is the Properties: Form dialog so that there is a data source before you can choose a Data Field
Hey thanks for that!

How do I access the 'properties: Form' settings (the same happens when I try to use a textbox to output a simple SUM formula output).
MACOS Sierra 10.12.6

OPEN OFFICE - 4.1.5
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

When using ORB adding a form control makes no sense.
From the ORB design window press F4 to toggle the properties dialog. Also, Insert->Report Controls will display a list of options including controls that you can add to a report.
Since LO uses the ORB as it's default report builder, download the LO Base Handbook and look at chapter 6
https://documentation.libreoffice.org/e ... tion/base/
The original Sun Report Builder documentation can be found at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/SUN_Re ... umentation