[Solved] Report headers/footers

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
rosam

[Solved] Report headers/footers

Post by rosam »

After adding a report header and footer to my report I see that they appear after my page header and before my report footer, respectively. This is obviously not what I want, but I see no way to change the order and move the report header to the first section of my report and the report footer to the last section, where they belong. Any advice?
Last edited by rosam on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
MTP
Volunteer

Re: Report headers/footers

Post by MTP »

Are you using the report wizard bundled with OpenOffice, or have you downloaded the Oracle Report Builder extension?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

In addition to the important question asked above by user MTP, if, you are using the Oracle Report Builder, and, you want to see a sample database ( HSQL-WORLDAREA4.odb ), with some report files, including the use of headers, please see the forum post below, and, download the database file ( it uses the HSQL Embedded Database ). Because of the file size, I used Mediafire to store the file for download.

Download Sample Report File: HSQL-WORLDAREA4.odb

Sliderule
rosam

Post by rosam »

I am using Oracle Report Builder extension. I would rather not download the sample database, as I don't think it would help me. I just need to know if there is a way to put the report header and footer in the right place.
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

rosam wrote:I am using Oracle Report Builder extension. I would rather not download the sample database, as I don't think it would help me. I just need to know if there is a way to put the report header and footer in the right place.
Yes.
rosam

Post by rosam »

How?
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

Since, I do cannot see your database / report, and, you prefer not to review the sample database I posted above, I do not know any way I can help you.

Perhaps someone else in the forum might be able to be of additional assistance.

Below are links to some of the Oracle Report Builder documentation, found in Base wiki:
  1. http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Reporti ... umentation
  2. https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/SUN_Re ... umentation
  3. https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/SUN_Re ... eneral_Tab
  4. https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/SUN_Re ... eneral_Tab
Thanks to add [Solved] in your 1st post Subject (edit button top right) if this issue has been resolved.

Sliderule
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

Maybe just not seeing the page header and footer on the pages with your report header and footer would solve your problem?

Go to the report navigate (F5) and in the Report Properties change the options for the Page Header & Footer.

Regards

Nocton
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
rosam

Post by rosam »

Sliderule, I did decide to download the samples because I wasn't able to get the answer to my question. However, the sample reports had only page headers and report footers, but not page headers together with report headers or page footers together with report footers. My issue is that I want to add both a page header and footer and a report header and footer, but as I said the page header appears before the report header in both the edit window and on the actual report, and the same for the footers. I can't understand why I am the only one with this issue. How does everyone else include both page and report headers and footers in a report and have them come up in the proper place in the report, i.e. first report header, then page header, and first page footer then report footer?
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

I can't understand why I am the only one with this issue. How does everyone else include both page and report headers and footers in a report and have them come up in the proper place in the report, i.e. first report header, then page header, and first page footer then report footer?
rosam, I think you are not understanding what is meant by report and page header and footer. A page header is what it says - it comes at the head/top of the page; similarly with a footer. They are not part of the body of the page. That is where the report is printed. It is exactly the same with spreadsheets and word-processing documents, with OpenOffice or Microsoft Office. So in answer to your question: they are in the proper place in the report.
As I have mentioned, you can turn off the page headers and footers on the first or last page if you want to make the report first and last pages look 'cleaner'.
If you really must have the information that is in the page header after your report header, then just put it in the report header after what you already have there and then use the option I previously mentioned to turn off the page header on the first page. That will give you what you want.

Nocton
rosam

Post by rosam »

Nocton, thanks for clarifying this. I see now that I was thinking of the page header as more like a table header and I was trying to use it for column headings that appear once on every page. Now I am using a group header instead to do the job. Thank you for picking up on the root of the confusion!
JoseJuan

Re: [Solved] Report headers/footers

Post by JoseJuan »

Forgive me to write in this solved thread, I want to clarify some things:
a) in the creation of reports of other generators (ms-access for example) the header of the report is always shown before the page, is a matter of hierarchy.
In AOO and LO it seems that it is a concept inherited from an (excessive?) use of the writer formats for this task, which has forced to include the option 'except on the first page' for page headers.
b) the use of the page header for column titles in a columnar report is always the most preferable.
c) I had already tested the Noctom indications, but in my case with LO 5.4.5.1 it continues to do the page break after the report header. Could it be a bug?
Regards.
LibreOffice 6.1 on Windows 7 / LibreOffice 5.4 on Windows XP
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

a) in the creation of reports of other generators (ms-access for example) the header of the report is always shown before the page, is a matter of hierarchy.
In AOO and LO it seems that it is a concept inherited from an (excessive?) use of the writer formats for this task, which has forced to include the option 'except on the first page' for page headers.
I don't see any problem with Report and Page headers in the opposite order from MS Access. I don't think that AOO & LO were 'forced' to include the option 'except on the first page' for page headers. I think it is a useful feature to have.
b) the use of the page header for column titles in a columnar report is always the most preferable.
I think column titles are best put in a group header.
c) I had already tested the Noctom indications, but in my case with LO 5.4.5.1 it continues to do the page break after the report header. Could it be a bug?
No, I think it's the standard behaviour. Maybe you can do what you want by using just a Page Header and what you would have as a Report Header as a Conditional Print in the Page Header. Personally I like the Report Header to be on a separate page so that all the following pages with the Page Header are similar. I use the Report Header just to tell the user what the following report is about - Name, time period, any other selection of the data.
JoseJuan

Post by JoseJuan »

Hi Nocton,

I do not want to start a debate about ways to program, or design reports. Each person knows their needs and has their own style to solve them. The design tool should be adapted to allow us the ability to choose the way of doing things.
Personally I never use column labels in group headers, I think they could be repeated too many times if the groups are small.

On the report header, I just need to include a title of the report in the upper left part of the first page, without losing the entire first page, only 1 cm. approx. On some occasions I have made reports that also showed the filter data in the right part of the report header. I prefer my reports very dense, they are usually listed with a lot of columnar data.
I think there are techniques to put it in the page header and then hide it from the second page, but I think I would remove that area from all the pages.

Sobe the page break after the report header, I must remind you that this header has the property "Force new page" to choose before, after, before and after and none. Well this last option is the one I want, neither before, nor after, that is, I do not want a new page but execute a jump later, it does not obey the selected value 'None'. Why do not you obey?
I have opened a new thread asking this:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=93703

Regards.
LibreOffice 6.1 on Windows 7 / LibreOffice 5.4 on Windows XP